70MM MAF (cutting)

Back n black bird

Ok guys i have 1991, and looks like it came with the 70MM MAF, now where is the part your suposed to cut out? i heard of people doing this, just wondering if there is a tech article anywhere, or if anyone can tell me, Thanks.

MN12 has an article with pictures.

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/maf/maf.htm

maf2.jpg

In order to keep the relationship between the sampled air and unsampled air the same. If you don’t enlarge the tube logic says that there will be more airflow through the meter but will not be read, so the engine would run lean until the O2’s bring it back into spec. It isn’t advised to do this mod, though most have not reported any real problems that I have seen. This topic gets debated fairly often.

Jeff

The issue is that mechanically modifying the hard part to try to fake out the software is not a perfect science.

If you don't mind screwing around with stuff trying to get it to work right, then the mod might be fun.

But if you get frustrated easy, it would probably be more with your time and effort to get an optimized system from someone that is setup correctly to start.

You're messing with the way the engine determines how much air is available to be burned. Wrong information due to mods can cause too rich, and/or too lean conditions anywhere along the power band.

Back