Lentech install

Randy N Connie

What is the best way to remove the two top bolts in the bellhousing for a AOD trans.

Before I had to remove motor on other trans install.I have remove the blower,and ect.

I think i will junk this ****** peice of **** before i pull this ******motor for another got*** trans install again.

RANDY :)

Randy N Connie said:
What is the best way to remove the two top bolts in the bellhousing for a AOD trans.

Before I had to remove motor on other trans install.I have remove the blower,and ect.

I think i will junk this ****** peice of **** before i pull this ******motor for another got*** trans install again.

RANDY :)

I get all of them from underneath. I use a wratcheting wrench on the top ones or if they are too tight I can also get a 3/8 wratchet and shallow socket on them. Helps to have skinny hands. :D

Can you drop the trans mount and lower the rear of the trans? I know on a ranger it makes it easier to get to the top bolts by doing that. You have to pull the upper intake, but I am thinking you already have the SC off the engine.

Yeah, if you lower the rear of the transmission, you can reach the top bolts with about 3 feet of extensions.

And if you have small hands, and I seem to remember you don't, you can reach them from the top.

Randy like others here I ended up using a 3' extension with a universal joint in it. That extension is a Snap-on tool and very pricey, as luck would have it my neighbor had the tool and saw me struggling so he walked up with it.
He told me it was a special extension that was made just for that job, I dont know if thats true or not but the damn thing worked just like it was made for the job. I had those bolts out in less than 5 minutes with it.
The universal on the extension is not like the usual universals you see, it has a ball and socket type joint very much like a CV joint on an axle.
Oh I almost forgot, yes you will still have to come from under the car to get the bolts out.
I know what you're going through right now and it sucks! Theres so many jobs on this car that are fairly simple and much easier to do on other cars but this an SC and there a nightmare to work on. No wonder Ford stopped making them, NOONE wants to work on them even dealership mechanics.

Try a swivel end 3/8 ratchet, worked for me without an extension. No need to drop the rear of the trans.

Jerry

Well when I came into the house and made my first post about this bolt problem.And went back out to the shop,& Connie had the two bolts out.
I was very happy and, had a small feeling at the same time.

Don't let these women fool ya.They know and can do a lot more than they
let on.I told her I guess we will not make the shootout ,if I don't get this fixed,and you will not be able to drive this year.She had both of those bolts out in about 10 minutes.And hear I spent about 2hrs tring to just get to the bolts.

Have I ever mentioned to you all.I love my wife, and hate AODs.

Thanks for you all that gave some suggestions on this fix.

I have the trans in and bolted up.Just have the gas tank,exhaust,trans crossmember,TV cable,and install a trans cooler if I can find one in my area.

Thanks Randy

Back