ZZPerformance Stage 1 M90 Port

Toms-SC

Hey,

Just in the slight chance that anyone here was tempted to asked ZZPerformance to do a Stage 1 port on the Ford M90 don't waste your time. I orginally went to them because they seem to have the best documented gains and a price better then the others. Well, I fired them off an e-mail and got the simple response.
'sorry, we can't do it'
So, in conclusion, don't waste your time! I know I want my 5 minutes back! :eek:

ZZP works on performance parts for gtps, I can kinda see how they wouldnt be interested in your SC. Although both cars are a supercharged 3.8l (m90 blower), the pontiac blower is different than the sc's blower. I would assume thats why they dont want to mess with it.

That certain company has an idiot as an owner (I didnt mention which company)..Unless hes gained a vast amount of knowledge within the past year hes still an idiot in my book:O)

The inlet is also ported and is not the same as the gtp m90. What not have your blower ported by MP or just do it yourself, its not that hard.

Its not that hard, but there is science behind any design. Doing a homeport job and hoping for the best is not my style.

Actually the blower porting is not rocket science...Being the Science has already been figured out by ESM back in the day..

Its not like porting a head where you have so many variables and porting needs to be in kind throughout the head..

Sogo for it!

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Its not like porting a head where you have so many variables and porting needs to be in kind throughout the head..
Sogo for it!
ZZ Performance took 8 tries to get a proper design. The size and angle of the cut effect outlet temperatures. I am certian it took Mr.Magnumpower more than a few tries to yeild the results he wanted.

A couple of articles to read and learn from:
ZZ Performance M90 Tech
Magnuson M90 Tech

Now why on earth would I take a guess and port out a perfectly good 94-95 M90 only for it to perform worse?

Just some insight...
:) :p

You better stop reading that dudes website hes a bozo...

Why Port..Because youd just be copying a desighn like everyone else has thats already proven..

As for him trying 8 different treis..Commone now...Lets face it..You dont just try things ...You have a theory behind it..His theory was to copy others..But hey..DO whatever you wanna do!..My tailights sure do look shiney!

Hope your not on 56K

Comparsion.jpg

Notice how some are more radical ports than the others? Take a look at the angles the job in the upper left hand corner has, why? They all claim to make some sort of gain in performance and reduction in outlet temperatures but which one is more efficient? Which one has documented proof? Why is one more expensive than the other? All matters to consider when doing your 'homeport' job.

:p

Last edited:
DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Why Port..Because youd just be copying a desighn like everyone else has thats already proven..

As for him trying 8 different treis..Commone now...Lets face it..You dont just try things ...You have a theory behind it..His theory was to copy others..
I am truely trying to learn here. You claim everybody is copying somebody when the only pattern I see when comparing the outlets is that they are all larger?
:confused:

Toms-SC said:
Take a look at the angles the job in the upper right hand corner has, why? :p

Um, the upper right hand corner supercharger is NOT an M90, that's why. Take a close look at the rotors...The are not the twisted design of the M90.

And for the record, I had done NO porting at all ever, and ported my M90. I'm seeing significant gains in power over what I had. I didn't mess it up, I don't think anyone else will, unless then let metal shavings get into the needle bearings... There's not as much science as one would like you to believe. They make it sound difficult so that you will let the "professionals" do it so they can charge you what ever they want to do a job you could easily do at home. All porting is, is smoothing the transitions of the casting to provide better flow. That's it.

Trust me on this one 007, that is an M90. Ryan Harris did that port job, the reason it looks so weird is because the rotors are out of the housing. :)

007_SuperCoupe said:
I see it now, my bad...
whose is that in the lower right? could you repost just that one.. it seems to be cut off by my browser. I suffer from small monitor syndrome. :eek:

The inlet is where you need most of the work done...You can safely just remove the bolt bosses from the outlet and fill in the silencer slits..

Its the Inlet that needs to be worked on however

Last edited:
Im quite ignorant when it comes to metal, i can wood work like a mug...but not metal

So to do this "porting" that i can do myself, is there something that i should know, like a special tool or can i simply go at it with a drill and just start drilling holes to move air around or is there something im missing...jigsaw, mitre... i think im definitly missing something?

jOe

I had access to a dynafile (sp). That is what I used to remove much of the material for the rough opening stuff. After that, I just used my dremel to smooth out the roughness of the file.

My suggestion is to talk to a few people who do porting to get an idea of how to do it. That's what I did. And take it slow. It's always easier to take off a little more than try to put more back on. It's really not hard once you get into it though. As stated in a previous post here, the inlet is what really needs the work. The outlet can be opened up a bit, but I spent the vast majority of my time on the inlet and inlet plenum. And early style cases are different than the Gen II cases. I ported the Gen II case which needs a lot more work on the inlet as far as smoothing the transitions in the casting. The early style needs the inlet opened up more, so it's 6 of one, and 1/2 a dozen of the other.

Back