Supercharger doesnt turn all the way...what do u suggest i check?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
While cleaning up my spare supercharger i noticed it turns...but at a point it stops turning. This happens when you turn it on either direction. Im guessing that perhaps there's something stuck inside the rotors...but the only way i think of checking this is by removing the snout ...which i really dont want to b/c its going to be a mess of stinky supercharger fluid...unless i really have to. The rotors themselves appear to be in good condition. Any suggestions on what to check?

maybe low on oil? i know mine did that about a week ago, i try turning it without the belt and it spinned halfway and it was hard, but i didnt force it... maybe messed up coupler?

I tried checking for low fluid and i doubt that is it because when i losened up the bolt SC fluid came gushing out. Any other thoughts?

CaifanSC - I had the same concern a few years ago. I was turning over a SC that was unbolted from the motor and it would bind up before making a complete revolution. When the SC was bolted to the motor it spun freely. I could be wrong about this theory, but I think the case changes dimensions slightly when not bolted to anything and causes the rotors to bind. Also, this may not happen with all SC's either. Bolt it up to proper torque specs and see what happens. John

John, you are absulutely right. Before i read your post i went to my shed to check on that supercharger and after trying to turn the pulley a few times i noticed that if i kinda lifted on the pulley just a little bit the rotors would turn with no problem. After doing so it would spin freely. I guess there's something to what you say. At least im glad to know that there's nothing stuck on my rotors...and it was a relief to see that it has happened to someone else too.

Back