sad times at the track

Foyilredneck

Well i took my 93 5 speed to the drag strip here in norman last week end and was pretty disapointed with my times, i could only manage a best of 16.14 @90 mph. My car is pretty much stock with gutted catsand a 70mm maf outher than that it is stock. My main problem was massive wheel spin on every run, my 60' was a 2.67 which is pretty bad. my Questoin is shouldnt my car run better than this? :confused:

Every tenth in your 60 foot is 2 tenths up top.

Stock SC should run around a 15.4

Your doing a 16.14

My experience shows normally a stock sc with stock tyires will pull 2.2 short times(My experience)

So do the math and......Your car has the power..Mile an hour is correct..Your launch technique needs to be worked on!

Then you can easily be in that magic 15.4 second range

yeah, your mph gives you enough power to run a good mid-low 15.
the very first time I had my car down the strip, i turned a 16.7 @87 and by the end of the night i was doing 16 flat @89. it just takes practice
just work on getting your 60's down and everything looks much better.
what rpm are you launching at?
Andrew

89_Red_Xr7 said:
yeah, your mph gives you enough power to run a good mid-low 15.
the very first time I had my car down the strip, i turned a 16.7 @87 and by the end of the night i was doing 16 flat @89. it just takes practice
just work on getting your 60's down and everything looks much better.
what rpm are you launching at?
Andrew

Tried 1500to 3000, the best run was launching at 1500
and slipping the clutch. Any advice on how to launch without blowing the tires off ? also i have got a 3.27 pumpkin out of a auto how much will it help?

If anything that rear will make it even harder to launch. Maybe describe how you are launching, how you have the car set up (ride setting, #'s of air in the tires, the tires themselves). Are you rolling through the water?

I usually launch around 1700 rpm or so. I hold the throttle just enough to reach 1700-1800, then let the clutch out fairly quickly(not dumping it, just a quick, clean release of the pedal) and roll into the throttle until I'm WOT.
The 3.27's are the best bang for the buck mod I've done yet. To me launching the car is easier with the 3.27's as opposed to the 2.73's
Also, how hot was it when you ran? the night that I ran my 14.7 it had finally cooled down to about 70-75 degrees or so, but i was turning 15.7's earlier in the day when it was 90ish. Heat KILLS these cars.

Andrew

well i have a similar problem. first time i ran my car i ran a 16.4@86 with a 2.6 60. ive tried and tried and the best i can come up with after going to the track again is a 16.118@86.87 so my mph didnt change any (wierd???) but my 60 was down to a 2.463. also i live at around 3200 ft. i also have all season tires that suck. any suggestions.

92redsc said:
well i have a similar problem. first time i ran my car i ran a 16.4@86 with a 2.6 60. ive tried and tried and the best i can come up with after going to the track again is a 16.118@86.87 so my mph didnt change any (wierd???) but my 60 was down to a 2.463. also i live at around 3200 ft. i also have all season tires that suck. any suggestions.
im going back to the track this weekend with my gears, intercooler fan,and a set of slicks
:D

Back