Steering, your thoughts?

cowtown

Hi guys, the 94 SC I picked up today has what I would call backwards PS. When at low speeds (under 35-40mph) the steering effort is rather high. At high speeds it feels fine, well weighted and what not. I know it should be a bunch better and the pump is pretty whiney but it's a Ford. What do you think?

A. Pump

B. Speed Sensor (for Evo)

C. Air in steering system

D. Other

I checked the fluid but I was having a hard time reading it because it's on that angle. Is there an easy way to tell exactly where the fluid is on that stupid stick?

You can detach the electrical connector for the power steering pump and then see how your effort is at low speed. When the power is removed, the orifice valve should be full open giving full assist at all speeds. So if the connector is removed and you don't notice an improvement, it isn't the electronics causing your issue.

Your pump could be weak.
Your ball joints could be shot.
Your tie rods could be shot.
Your tires could be low on air.
Your rack could be bleeding pressure.

Any of the above are mechanical reasons why your effort could be high at slow speed.

Thanks for the tip Mike, I'll give that a try and troubleshoot from there. I'm pretty sure it's the pump itself. The rest of the suspension and that feels fine and there's no clunking or the like that I've seen thus far.

I'll take a crack and report back. ;)

Mike8675309 said:
You can detach the electrical connector for the power steering pump and then see how your effort is at low speed. When the power is removed, the orifice valve should be full open giving full assist at all speeds. So if the connector is removed and you don't notice an improvement, it isn't the electronics causing your issue.

Your pump could be weak.
Your ball joints could be shot.
Your tie rods could be shot.
Your tires could be low on air.
Your rack could be bleeding pressure.

Any of the above are mechanical reasons why your effort could be high at slow speed.

That's a great way to separate the mechanical and electronic components in the steering. I wonder why it's not in the factory shop manual :confused: ?

Back