Mount Saint Helens waking up again

BobGPz

Well our mountain is acting up again, anybody remember 05/18/1980?
Been getting 1.0 to 2.8 earthquakes about every minute over the past few days. If you had to wear a respirator as a kid to play outside because of the Ash that made it all the way to Russia, that was because of Mt. St. Helens. Sure you Seattle guys got hit when the mountain blew half it's face off covering my favorite childhood fishing spot (Spirit Lake). Mother nature sure is mad lately.

http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=71423

This will give you an idea of how active it has been. :eek:
http://www.pnsn.org/WEBICORDER/GREEN/SEP_EHZ_UW.2004092800.html

Last edited:
BobGPz said:
Well our mountain is acting up again, anybody remember 05/18/1980?
Yes. Maybe not the exact day, but I remember the erruption... I think we'd better warn that mountain that if it errupts and spews volcanic ash into the stratosphere which then interacts with the ozone, then were just going to ban erruptions from now on :rolleyes:
If R12 gets the axe, then so does sulphur. :rolleyes:

I was studying for a final in cost accounting at WSU..... When I saw the cloud of ash coming (I lived in Clarkston at the time). It was a very strange thing to be in. No mask for us. My buddy and I went out in his 70 Barracuda and did donuts in the ash (about 2 inches thick).

I got out of out of college early that year since they were not sure about the medical effects of the ash.

I was worried more about the hi-po 289 in my 65 Cyclone being damaged commuting to Pullman than my lungs though. :)

I would have been just about 6 then. I do remember the day, our family was on a Van run (camping trip) about a half hour from our house in the Okanagan and I remember the sky getting very grey and having the ash rain down for quite a while. Kinda sucked spending most of the weekend in the van because of the ash. One of my earlier memories actually.

i remember that eruption. believe it or not we had effects of that ash here on the east coast. i remember watching that on the news that night and i couldnt believe what i saw. was unbelievable.

Dude that sucks. Hopefully nothing happens.

I was not born yet to remember 1980, but I have seen the video and it looked pretty scary.

Shane

I was about 3 months old when it blew. its my favorie video thought. what awsome power. Id say theres no chance its going because there hasnt been any size variations like there ws last time. im waiting to see ranier go up. if its half the eruption st. helens was seattle is in for it hard. Id like to see something like that in my lifetime. i watch the stars quite a bit also. lots to see up there

kwikcoupe said:
I was about 3 months old when it blew. its my favorie video thought. what awsome power. Id say theres no chance its going because there hasnt been any size variations like there ws last time. im waiting to see ranier go up. if its half the eruption st. helens was seattle is in for it hard. Id like to see something like that in my lifetime. i watch the stars quite a bit also. lots to see up there

If you'd "like" to see something like that in your lifetime, I've got some reading material that you will enjoy..."Fingerprints of the Gods", by Graham Hancock. Enjoy...

I had what to myself and my team was an excellent view of Mt St Helens that morning-we were climbing Mt Adams, and had bivouacked at the 11,000 foot mark-we watched the eruption take place from 33 miles away, and then scrambled to cover before the ash hit-that took place within 30 minutes of the eruption.

Wow Guys, those are some cool stories!
We went camping at Seaquest National Park 5 summers in a row just before it blew, and fished in Silver Lake and Spirit Lake, which I think is no longer there. 05/18/1980 I woke up late Sunday morning to deliver newspapers (I was 12 years old) and was just finishing and heard some @$$ lighting off a M-100 and thought what a dummy as it is not even July and so early in the morning to be lighting off fireworks. Little did I know that was the mountain blowing up. Went home and back to bed when my mom woke me up and told me it blew. We went to all the view places to see it and sooo many people staring in awe.. Really cool, but sucked as Spirit Lake was a cool place to be and fish..I posted a picture of St. Helens BEFORE it blew and you tell me if it lost 1/3 of its top or what...we used to tie off on that log when we fished, thats why I bought this picture.."Dantes Peak" come to mind?

A Live Cam of Mt Saint Helens..
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

Attachments

• St Helens 1.jpg
    St Helens 1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Bob, how close are you to the mountain? They talk like it's getting ready to blow and it could be worse than the previous eruption in the 80's that was so bad.

David

Bob is not here. He is hiding under his bed for the end of the west coast. :confused: :eek: :(
Haha! :p I am like less than 50 miles from Dantes Peak :D
Everybody calling while I'm trying to do my HG's so I go drag my 19" bedroom tv to the garage while I work on the 'bird to see what everyone's fussing about, and whoa! Pretty serious. They say a major eruption is iminent /spelling. I was going to go up there today and take pictures but Bill got my gaskets out to me so quick that I decided not to go. Good thing as the evacuated the area I was going to go to.
Image 0 - Shows you Washington and most of Oregon
Image 1 - Shows you Vancouver Washington, Portland Oregon, and the road going to St Helens
Image 2 - Shows you St Helens in relation to Vancouver Washington

Pretty close huh? :eek:

edit....where's the pics??

Last edited:
this free internet sucks!
Try this...

Attachments

• mapimage0.jpg
    mapimage0.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 98
  • mapimage1.jpg
    mapimage1.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 94
  • mapimage2.jpg
    mapimage2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 160
I wasn't born yet, but it was the day that my dad was to graduate Perry Tech. in Yakima. They were at my uncles house in Selah for some reason when it blew. He said that everybody was huddled under the kitchen table not knowing what to expect. Needless to say, he didn't quite make it to graduation, but he did get his diploma in the mail.

Yeah you can see Yakima in that first picture. St Helens is the unmarked green spot under Mt Raineer..

I always thought Vancouver was in British Columbia. :D Did you drag the phone, TV and computer under the bed with you? :D Hope it doesn't get too bad, I don't know if I could get used to Oregon and Idaho being on the left coast. :D

No really, Hopefully all their technicaly advanced early eruption detection equipment is wrong. You know after 2 daiquiris and a pina colada, I wonder if all that makes sense. Anyway, I might have another and maybe if you can drag the blender under the bed with you, you should have one too.

Your head gaskets can wait, take cover while you can. :D

David

Raineer would be a bad deal if it went. It would melt all the ancient glaciers on the mnt. causing a devistating mud flow that would cause far greater damage than the eruption its self.

They aren't wrong. They raised the urgency thing to Level 3. Level 2 is what it was at when it coughed yesterday, so something is coming.
http://www.katu.com/

No pina colada mix left in the house. The kids mom took it with her. Still have cold beer and Jack Daniels and Seagrams 7! :D

Scary stuff man, on the news they just said that magma is evedent, and they expect some form of magma flow with the eruption. They are expecting it to go within 24 hrs. Buckle up and hold on!

Back