Mustang 5.0 HO in my T-bird??? Can it be done???

LXSC

I'm still on the hunt for a 5.0 HO for my 90' T-bird. The only problem is that Thunderbird 5.0 are not all that common however 87-95 Mustang 5.0s seem to be in great supply. I've been told that the Mustang HO has inherent differences that make it difficult to put in my T-bird. Aside from the fact that I'm gonna need a new K-member (as I currently have a 3.8 L), can I get a Mustang HO and somehow convert it (crame it in :rolleyes: ) to fit in my Thunderbird? Thanks to anyone who can help or anyone who has ever undertaken this swap

You don't need a new K-member, just different motor mounts. The accesories are in different locations on the Mustang, such as the AC compresor. You would need all the accesories from the Mustang, and maybe have to make some custom AC lines. I would still use a T-bird computer and harness though. It can be done without too much hassle really.

Thomas

Computer & Harness

Why would I be better off using a Thunderbird computer and harness?

I say that becuase I'm not sure where the EEC is positioned in a Mustang. If it's in a much different location, you might be looking at having to extend wires and such.

Thomas

Thomas A said:
I say that becuase I'm not sure where the EEC is positioned in a Mustang. If it's in a much different location, you might be looking at having to extend wires and such.

Thomas

The EEC is in the pass. side kick pannel on the fox and current Mustangs. I dont know where the Tbird's EEC is (I asume in the same place) so I cant make an accurate judgement on whether or not the wires will need extended.

Shane

Oh, the one last thing no one else has mentioned and I forgot to say anything about is that you may have probems with the upper intake manifold. The fox body stangs had a different upper that the SN95 stangs. The SN95s had an elbow after the TB that restricted performance compared to the fox mustang, and the Tbird had the same elbow as the SN95s. If you get a motor out of a 87-93 stang you will probably have to change the upper intake manifold.

Shane

Clearance

What would the problem be? I've been made aware of this as well. Eventually I'll be swapping on an Edlebrok RPM Performer but first it'll be stock for about half a year. Is this a clearance issue with the hood or something else?

Oh yeah, what about Cruise control? I love it and I want to retain it but can it still work out?

LXSC said:
What would the problem be? I've been made aware of this as well. Eventually I'll be swapping on an Edlebrok RPM Performer but first it'll be stock for about half a year. Is this a clearance issue with the hood or something else?

Oh yeah, what about Cruise control? I love it and I want to retain it but can it still work out?

The problem is with the shock tower. With the stock 87-93 5.0 intake it should have clearance problems. Thats why Ford put an intake elbow on the SN95 stangs and the Tbird has the same intake as well. Here is a pic of what I am talking about: http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/tfs-5150sn95.jpg

Now if you upgrade to an aftermarket intake manifold you may need a new hood for extra clearance, but I am not sure on that one. It all depends on wether or not the intake manifold sits higher than the stock one.

As for the cruise control carring over it should as long as you use the factory Tbird stuff. IDK much on how the cruise control works, but I would figure if you dont mess with the throttle linkage or anythng that runs off of it, it should still work.

Shane

Birdman93 said:
The intake was lowered on the 91-93 5.0 Thunderbirds in order for the engine to fit under the hood.

So, in that case you will likely need a raised hood for your Edlebrok RPM Performer intake manifold that you want LXSC.

Shane

Oh yes, it can definitely be done. A motor out of a 94-95 stang will get you very close, other than the headers and motor mounts. I am parting out a 5.0 Tbird if you are looking for parts :)

John

dode said:
Oh yes, it can definitely be done. A motor out of a 94-95 stang will get you very close, other than the headers and motor mounts. I am parting out a 5.0 Tbird if you are looking for parts :)

John

I might need the wiring harness off of it. Let me know what kind of price you want for it.

I may need some other stuff.

Shane

Back