5spd driveshaft

quick35th

Hey I have a few questions reguarding the driveshafts that are in the 5spd cars. This winter I will be redoing the entire driveline and suspenssion and wanderd if there was a company out there that makes an aluminum driveshafts for the 5spd cars?

If not what are the differences between the aluminum driveshaft that FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) sells for mustangs different from the one for our 5spd cars?

Length difference? How much? Spline difference?

Shane

i beleive that the mark VIII's driveshaft is aluminum, try a search on it, but im sure someone else knows the details but im pretty sure.

aplvlydrtybird said:
i beleive that the mark VIII's driveshaft is aluminum, try a search on it, but im sure someone else knows the details but im pretty sure.

Yes the Mark VIII"s driveshaft is aluminum, but thats for an auto and I have a stick. Isn't the driveshafts different from sticks to autos?

Shane

I've got one..

I got one of Kelly's first 5-speed aluminum shafts. It's good and held up nicely with street driving. I don't think I've had a problem with it.

I don't have Kelly's number handy, but there is a website. CHeck the Links section or check one of the chapter forums, I beleive he lives in Nevada or New Mexico.

Deep6 said:
I got one of Kelly's first 5-speed aluminum shafts. It's good and held up nicely with street driving. I don't think I've had a problem with it.

I don't have Kelly's number handy, but there is a website. CHeck the Links section or check one of the chapter forums, I beleive he lives in Nevada or New Mexico.

Could you give me the price that one of these runs for?

Shane

I know a guy here in New Mexico that makes drive shafts. He has made me a couple. I don't know if he does aluminum or not. I'll check into it if you'd like. He went to A&P school with my older brother down in Roswell. He lives in Gallup now.

Darkside said:
I know a guy here in New Mexico that makes drive shafts. He has made me a couple. I don't know if he does aluminum or not. I'll check into it if you'd like. He went to A&P school with my older brother down in Roswell. He lives in Gallup now.

That would be cool Darkside, I would appreciate that much. I want to go aluminum because I am out to save weight.

Shane

How much power do you plan to put through it? I'm just wondering if you should be considering a metal matrix driveshaft rather than aluminum since it sounds like you are going to get something custom made.

I haven't set any power goals yet with this car. Now I know there is a tubular kmember, stage III spec clutch, light weight spec flywheel, gears, and some other engine mods in the near future. I just dont know how fare I will take this car. Maybe a ported blower.

Now if I get another SC, expect to see somewhere in the neiborhood of 500-600 HP to be put threw it. Oh and that car will be a stick too.

What is a metal matrix driveshaft?

Shane

MMC Driveshaft...

The driveshaft that I have is made from high quality 6061 Aluminum. It's been high speed balanced and the spicer U-joints were fully welded on. Inland Empire is that actual manufacturer.

If you want a MMC Driveshaft, you will have to have a shop custom make one for you.

There was a place that I called up in Buffalo NY called "Denny's Driveshaft". He had the capability of producing a MMC driveshaft, but he required that I measure my own shaft (something that I don't know how to do) and it was a 15 day turn around.

Kelly had the answer with one that was already manufactured and could handle "up to 500hp". That seemed to have met my needs, it only weighed like 11lbs. PLus, he only wanted like $400+ for the shaft with shipping. That was about $250 LESS than what Ford wanted for the stock heavy steel shaft....

I am going to have to try to find Kelly and see about getting one of his driveshafts. Maybe he could make one that can handle alittle more power though as I may be needing the extra room.

Any idea how much the stock driveshaft weighs?

Shane

Stock shaft...

The stock steel driveshaft weighs a little over 20lbs.

Kelly may be able to work with the manufacturer to get you a stronger shaft, but you have to work with him. He's a decent guy. Give him a ring!

Deep6 said:
The stock steel driveshaft weighs a little over 20lbs.

Kelly may be able to work with the manufacturer to get you a stronger shaft, but you have to work with him. He's a decent guy. Give him a ring!

You dont happen to know his phone # or know where to find it at?

Shane

i have one also, for my 91 SC 5-spd, i love it, very very light, i did it when i redid my driveline..only thing i had to get another u-joint on mine because it wouldnt fit ? its an "Inland empire aluminum driveshaft " he must have the dementions or something and have them custom done, because i called summit and they carry inland empire driveshafts and they couldnt get me one...i dunno its been a while but i went to autozone and got a brute force u-joint sealed one. was like 15 bucks i think... he hooked me up big time then :) i got if for a few dallors under 400 ...i had his website but i think its down, it was FSR performance i believe, isnt he on this forum ? he has the white and red or white and or white and orange SC with the saleen double stack wing..i did call him but i went to the site to get his number... i put up a post before if anyone knew how to contact him but no one responded to me.. hes a really nice guy.. i talked to him for a few hrs a few times :) but he was doing group buy's on them previously.. i was lucky and he hooked me up after the group buy.. he was tellign me he was coming out with a FMIC and radiator all in one kit.. wonder what happened to everything ?? well good luck Alex L

Back