manual tranny temp gauge ? should u ??

SuperCoupeSC91

anyone ever look at there tranny temp in a manual and see if it is needed or not to run a cooler ? just wondering because i dont think i ever seen anyone talk about it ? i imagine u could easily add a tranny cooler off of the drain plug by removing it, or drilling threw it and adding a fiting to allow the oil to run threw the plug to the cooler, run a fitting inline to run it to the sending unit. might be a dumb idea ? but just wanted to know. i'm not sure ? i seen a rear end in nascar ripped apart on TV that had a rear end cooler, i thought that was kinda cool :) Alex L

Generally speaking...

Our cars are not being raced at continuous 180mph 200 laps around a circle track. Therefore a Manual tranny and rear Diff cooler are basically overkill.

I also would tend to shy away from a cooler in a manual tranny due to the fact that cold temps keep the tranny from shifting smoothly. As far as I know, manual trannys don't operate at the same temps that Automatics do.

I know that the 2000 Mustang Cobra R had a rear diff cooler though...at least that is what I read somewhere.

Back