engine noise

scbird

I have just recently obtain a noise in the engine, it sounds like a piston slapping something. I am asking you guru's what this could be?
I think it may be a valve, or maybe a pushrod, but the confusing part of this is, sometimes I get a squeal and the engine will die, so it makes me wonder if it isn't something more major, like a cam bearing or a broken crank.. By the way I should add all cylinder have good pressure when checked, and the engine idles smooth. It's just that damn clank/clicking/banging, that I can't stand.
So here is the question, what other symptoms would I have from a brolen crank/bnt pushrod, broken valve spring, of cam bearing????

Thanks
SCbird

Hmm. Without having more specific information on the symptoms you are experiencing, I would say one of the belt pulleys are locking up at random and shutting it down. I think I remember reading the ac compressor has a safety to shut the engine down if it locks, perhaps the others are similar. I would have said a bearing, but that would probably be all the time and there would be symptoms while running. What exactly does the noise sound like? Is it a knock, metal clank, whistle, howl, ect? When exactly does it occur, and what accessories do you have running during this time? Lastly, what year is your SC?

ENGINE NOISE

I HAVE A 90 BIRD, THE NOISE SOUNDS LIKE METAL CLUNKING/CLANKNING. I HAVE PULLED THE HEADS TODAY TO CHECK VALVES, EVERYTHING SEEMS OK(WITHIN SPECS). SO ONCE AGAIN I AM AT LOSS FOR IDEAS AND WHERE TO GO NEXT.
AS FAR AS HAVING ACCESSORIES RUNNING, I UNHOOKED ALL BELTS AND THE NOISE IS STILL PRESENT.

ANY IDEAS????

Lifters

Have a close look at the rollers on the bottom of the lifters. Mine had flat spots on 1 of them so it would not turn on the cam smoothly.

There is a technical service bulletin #95243, that addresses noisy rocker arms.

This noise can be in the form of squeling, knocking, or clacking or a combination of the above.

A ford additive (E9SZ-19579-A) can be added to eliminate the noise. This additive is essentially a fuel injector cleaner and is added to the crankcase to remove any varnish, grime. The oil is then changed and the noise should be gone.

I tried every additive know to man but once the rollers flatten and stop rolling, the only option is to replace it. I was lucky that it didn't damage my cam. I removed my SC belt to keep my rpms down and stay out of boost in order to stay on the road until my parts arrived. But one day it just stopped and I needed a tow. The tapping caused the bolt holding the rocker to come undone and that valve stayed closed. The needle bearings inside that roller lifter had completely broken down and I could shake the little bits out. It was the mid one on the pass side. Good Luck

Back