Hello! Brake & ABS problem HELP!

Waterclocker

Hello Everyone!

I have been searching the forum to learn more about my SC. I have a Red 90 with black leather int. and 67,000 miles :cool: . My dad was the original owner and I bought it from him. It's going to need a few thing to make it faster and handle better :D I have current issues at hand though :( The brake light is on solid and the ABS light will come on during acceleration.

I tested the accumulator by listening for the pump to come on after pumping the brake. Guess how many times.... ONCE! Ok, so I now know that the accumulator is bad. I also had a problem with something coming loose the the driver rear brake. I could hear it clunk when ever I ride over a bump. That had cause the brake light to come one. I brought to the shop that I go to and they fixed it, but said that I might come loose again. A few days later the brake light is back on and I can hear that sound again. I was going to bring it in again to get fixed, so I called the shop. They looked into getting that accumulator and found they could only order the complete ABS unit at $1300 their cost! I asked them if I could give them the place to order it from and they said, NO! They won't install customer parts on critical components. Then they said I should bring my car in to have it checked over, because the accumulator might not even be the problem! How hard is to replace the accumulator? Should I have them fix the other problem and try to replace it myself? I'm no mechanic, but I'm good with my Nitro Rc Car, computer, etc :p . Maybe bring my car somewhere else? Or would any mine stopping by ;) (Chicagoland area)

Thanks,
Joel

Waterclocker said:
I think he was making up BS that he couldn't get the part. I'm sure he could if he wanted to....

He thought he say you coming, but you knew better.

Give prior a call and they will set you up with a rebuilt accumulator.

Shane

Last edited:
if you're hellbent on having ABS i guess wasting money is your problem. I converted my 1990 SC to regular brake system very easily and very cheaply (all the components couldn't have been more than $200). There are plenty of threads on how to do it.

My '92 was my first experence with ABS. So far, it has avoided three accidents that I could not have. Two of those I never saw coming as they were both slippery stuff on the road and both would have undoubtedly caused severe body damage. The third was just excessive speed and misjudgement of distance: I broke my foot (really) pressing on the pedal and had it not been for the ABS, I probably would have killed a woman and her daughter. (The carbon metalic pads helped some, too.)

I don't think the acculmulators from Prior are rebuilt, just the whole abs units.
iv'e had two of them. But thats the way to go, and they aren't hard to change
Tony

quick35th said:
Give prior a call and they will set you up with a rebuilt accumulator.
Prior sells new ones. They really only do that as a side; their normal business is rebuilding the whole HCU. :)

Back