4r70w

scfix92 said:
What all will I need for a 4r70w swap into a 92 sc automatic

A 1994 or 1995 wiring harness and EEC, and either a new driveshaft, or use of the AOD tailshaft housing on the 4R70W........Much more trouble than it is worth.

Hold on now!

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, the internal componants can be swapped. Pretty much everything but the tailshaft itself...

I did this a couple of months ago, I can get you some details if interested. Seems to work OK, but I regret not going to the strip to get before and after times to see what good if any it did.

We only have a 1/8th mile strip here, and I think 1/8 mile times suffer, due to the big jump from 2-3... I think this might be helpful in the 1/4 though, as you would actually stay in 3rd longer; but I really can't say for sure... Someone else may have a better idea about that.

I wanted it for more durability, (bigger overdrive band) and I figured it would be nice around town, etc. Which it does seem to "feel a little lighter" in the low end, which is what I wanted

I would look at www.becontrols.com/ formerly www.baumannengineering.com Specifically this page: www.becontrols.com/tech/ch3aodeupgrade.htm

Here is a couple of detailed threads....
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51839
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49532

Let me know if you are interested in any more information.

Last edited:
Hate to dig up an old thread, but its better than starting a new one, may as well stay on topic...
A 1994 or 1995 wiring harness and EEC, and either a new driveshaft, or use of the AOD tailshaft housing on the 4R70W........Much more trouble than it is worth.
So the 94 and 95 tranny harnesses are the same? I need to replace mine and can get a 1994 cheap so I don't want to find out the hard way its the wrong one. I know its the same trans but that doesn't mean much knowing Ford and these cars...

94/95 transmission wiring harnesses are the same. They didnt change the pinouts on the 4r70w until after they stopped making Tbirds alltogether.

- Dan

Back