Those Sneaky Cops! :)

Billabong089

I saw two traffic "safety" officers on my road, they put some kind of thing on my road, well not on my road but right by it, its like the main road to get into the community and crap, everyone speeds on it, and all my friends lol, we all got loud and fast cars, and plus crappy cars speed too lol , its sorta ridicilious but anyway...

The thing they put down was a small green box they put on a lawn and padlocked it to a telephone pole, coming out of the box is two thick wires taped all the way across the road. What is it?

Someone said it was a thing to sense traffic patterns like busiest times and that they will do a speed trap...

Well if anyone knows, I looked at it and appeared to have "Jadar" on it.

[Start rant] If that is some speed sensing device, because I am not sure, I swear this country is becoming more "watchful" of us everyday. I don't think we need more rules, hence "speed traps", just enforce the rules we already have. [End rant]

it sounds like your state department of transportation put those out to do traffic counts. we use them here in pennsylvania. based on the counts the roads are prioritized according to the number of cars on it.

Jeff

Yeah guys, if you see one line running accross the road in a cable type fashion, then you should have no worries in the world, cause that is simply a traffic car counter... BUT
If you see two cables running accross the road about 2 or so seconds apart, and your speeding, slow down as fast as possible becuase those can actually measure the speed of your car by how fast the cables are ran over... So in a way its kinda like those white painted lines on 40-45mph zones... VASCAR where a cop times you by your front wheels touch the line, if you are faster that a given average time, then they can nail you. Stands up like radar in a court of law...

SUX BIGTIME... those cables added 4 points to my license...

jOe

Billabong089 said:
I saw two traffic "safety" officers on my road, they put some kind of thing on my road, well not on my road but right by it, its like the main road to get into the community and crap, everyone speeds on it, and all my friends lol, we all got loud and fast cars, and plus crappy cars speed too lol , its sorta ridicilious but anyway...

The thing they put down was a small green box they put on a lawn and padlocked it to a telephone pole, coming out of the box is two thick wires taped all the way across the road. What is it?

Someone said it was a thing to sense traffic patterns like busiest times and that they will do a speed trap...

Well if anyone knows, I looked at it and appeared to have "Jadar" on it.

Its defiantly two cables spaced about 3 feet apart...it probably does say Vascar not Jascar :)

But if this is the case, how would they nail you? there are no video cameras or anything unless there is but I dont see any... Remember this is a residental street so like its not a major road.

Last edited:
That is a car counter to count how much traffic goes on that road.
You can't measure speed with that by how long it takes to get from one cable to the other, cause a longer car versus a shorter car (Wheelbase) would give different readings..

If the cables are spaced about 3 feet apart in a residential street with one lane in each direction, then 3 feet being shorter than a car's wheelbase, it could theoretically be used to measure speed by taking the first pulse from each cable and ignoring the subsequent ones from the rear wheels.
I don't see why they would need two cables for traffic counts, unless each cable is for one direction of traffic only.
I'm sure the cops among us know the answer.

J.D. said:
If the cables are spaced about 3 feet apart in a residential street with one lane in each direction, then 3 feet being shorter than a car's wheelbase, it could theoretically be used to measure speed by taking the first pulse from each cable and ignoring the subsequent ones from the rear wheels.
I don't see why they would need two cables for traffic counts, unless each cable is for one direction of traffic only.
I'm sure the cops among us know the answer.

Usually when you see 2 wires, one only goes to the center of the road and the other goes all the way. 1 wire for each direction of traffic.

Yes, two-wire systems are capable of speed detection. (Single wire, as mentioned earlier, is traffic flow only.) They only time the first impulse (front wheel) of each vehicle. What typical confuse them are trucks with more than two axles (and two of those axles being closer together than the pickup tubes.) The software throws out many of the "garbage" signals.

...and yes, you can get a ticket via them IF they're being monitored.

Otherwise, they're being used to determine traffic flow and the average speeds. If a high average speed is detected, expect speed traps in the near future.

If anyone else remembers the bell signals in the old service stations, these things work the same way.

Keith

Im pretty sure its used to measure speed, the cables are both equal lengths and stretch the whole length of the road. PPL fly on this road, so what can I expect, I usually only speed on that road, honestly at like 1am coming home from work :-D

Billabong089 said:
Im pretty sure its used to measure speed, the cables are both equal lengths and stretch the whole length of the road. PPL fly on this road, so what can I expect, I usually only speed on that road, honestly at like 1am coming home from work :-D

Speeding at 1am on a deserted street with no witnesses? You'd better not resemble Rodney King!

You need to do one of two things or both, depending on how brave you are. You should drive over the cables and then back over them a whole bunch of times just to piss the cops off and throw the counter way off, or you could do a burnout over top of the cables. Could you picture the cop's expression when he sees burnout marks over the cables. It would be sweet!!

Shane

Its funny u say that because I was thinking the same thing, imagine rollin up the road at like 5mph, then bam drop the clutch and put two thick rubber marks right over the wires haha it would be so classic :)

second idea, take a sledge hammer to the box :-D

Or being 1 am and no other traffic, you could just park on top of it and see if the counter goes crazy. :D

David

Jeez if i gave those things this much thought out here,wrecking them would be a full time job. ;) With all the growth in this area,you see those things everywhere. Perhaps your town is thinking of expanding the road or something.
I would'nt lose any sleep over them.

quick35th said:
You need to do one of two things or both, depending on how brave you are. You should drive over the cables and then back over them a whole bunch of times just to piss the cops off and throw the counter way off, or you could do a burnout over top of the cables. Could you picture the cop's expression when he sees burnout marks over the cables. It would be sweet!!

Shane
ha, ha, that's classic, lol....but i would prolly take a set of bolt cutters to it lol, teach them to leave speed sensing equiptment lying around unattended, we usually only have the single cable "traffic counters", but if see the two cable setups, watch out,lol.....:D

Back