Let's build a poboy FMIC - *pics

tbird88

Well, I was doin' an emergency dig in the garage at the hacienda lookin' for the cylinder head I had cut up way back when and wasn't havin' any luck. Wanted it so I could play around with this port plate idea someone has goin' in another thread, figured it would be a great tool for mocking up some plates. Needed to get back down to Koko's so I grabbed a flashlight and started lookin' in all the nooks and crannies hopin' to catch at least a glimpse of the corner of it. No dice.
Next thing ya know, I see the top of a stock SC intercooler tank...and it's unpainted. I dig my way down and lo an' behold there's two of 'em, a coupla stock IC's that I had paint-stripped and stashed. Told myself I wasn't goin' back to Koko's empty handed so I loaded 'em in the trunk and took off.

Well, what to do with 'em...shoot, let's whack 'em up! The old laydown bandsaw made that easy and shortly two donor cores were ready for use. Got to thinkin' that I already have a double under construction so got to thinkin' some more and the light bulb flickers and hey...why not a front mount? Can't be that hard can it? Fired up the Massey Ferguson and drug that '90 automatic to the back door. Whipped out the plasma cutter and presto...the core support is layin' at my feet. Whittled on a shoppin' cart (remember, poboy method, right?) with the bottled wrench and then welded the core support on it with some bed rails as legs.
Hmm...rolls around nicely, just about the right level above the floor to work with. Get the A/C condenser outa the way...mount the radiator back in it...on to the cores.

First step was to get the cores plumb/level/square to each other and then do some tackin'. Got that done, let's play around with 'em on the jig. Hmm, cores are 13" tall, radiator openin' in the support is around 15-1/2". This is gonna take a few more lightbulbs flarin' up in order to plan the piping.
Plan A is tanks with 2-1/2" connections but it's evident that no matter what size pipes there's gonna hafta be an elbow or two somewhere to get through the radiator opening and then aim at the stock IC tubes on the engine. Flattened/oval piping is gonna come in handy.

Step 1 is lookin' like it's gonna deal with tackin' some tidbits of sheet on the cores to act as dummy tanks. Next up is tackin' brackets on to help rough in where to locate the cores.

As usual, all ideas/inuendos/suggestions/propositions welcomed.
(even j57ltr!)

personal note: many thanks to TCCoA for the webspace until I get my main computer back online...

po'bird

It's a Walls bandsaw, Koko said his dad picked it up used in the mid 1940's, cool machine with a ton of character.
fmic8516.jpg

Has a 7"x14" capacity, just enuff!
fmic8526.jpg

Rear view. (hey cuzzin Jeffro, see that engine on the stand back there? It's EVIL. It's the one what's gonna put the PAIN on ElDuddlo!)
fmic8546.jpg

Here's a frontal view, gonna bolt on a header panel and whatever else is needed to simulate installation problems. First impression is the finished product will hafta be slipped in from the bottom. Cores will sit farther away from the radiator than shown. They're just kinda restin' in there so I could get the pic.
fmic8536.jpg

wolf rocco said:
man i need a friend like you to help me build a air to water intercooler nice work man :D
Heck, we're just gettin' started eh. Stay tuned and don't hold back with any input.

By the way, got a few SC'ers up there in your neighborhood but can't name names right this moment, the info is on my old hardrive. Also dealt with some great fellas in Alberta, they let me know right up front not to confuse y'all with those people in Eastern Canada LOL!

'bird

wolf rocco said:
did you see pics of my mix breed of VW and ford parts lol i can give you a link to check it out http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1366987
i have did alot of work since then just have had no time to update them

i love the m90 but the heat is killing me at high speeds
When I saw the link to vids I cringed, stuck with a 28k modem right now, thanks for the thread link. Cool engineering you've done there, can't quite tell how you intercooled it though. In the front view of the car, what has the fan in front of it and what is cocked at an angle next to it?

Reminds me of a friend in Athens, Greece that has an old 4dr Mercedes. He installed a late model MB blower (clutch type) and a 75hp shot of nitrous, rigged 'em both to a wide open throttle switch. Sez he gets respect from the ricers real quick!

'bird

thats my intercooler hiding beside the rad its not a good location but the only one i could make work for me its a VW intercooler from a G60 motor so its time to mod a stock IC toa air to water

Back