I Need Help With My Car!!!

tim

It has a bad miss. I pulled the plug wires off one at a time and cant see a differance. Pulled a couple of plugs and they looked ok. Tomorrow I am going to check the rest of the plugs. I dont get it. It was running fine and all of a sudden this. Fuel pressure is good and all the sensors have been relpaced. I even had the alternator and battery checked to see if it was a low voltage problem. No problem there and no check engine light. No water in the oil and no smoke out of thr tail pipes. Sure wish there were more S.C. guys in the area. Tim

tim said:
It has a bad miss. I pulled the plug wires off one at a time and cant see a differance. Pulled a couple of plugs and they looked ok. Tomorrow I am going to check the rest of the plugs. I dont get it. It was running fine and all of a sudden this. Fuel pressure is good and all the sensors have been relpaced. I even had the alternator and battery checked to see if it was a low voltage problem. No problem there and no check engine light. No water in the oil and no smoke out of thr tail pipes. Sure wish there were more S.C. guys in the area. Tim

Are all the moderators at the shootout? :D Tim, I just had a problem with mine having a miss, well actually it was running like crap. Turns out one of the O2s was bad and one side of the motor was getting too much fuel and clogged the cat.

Hope yours isn't that. What a pain to pull the cats and punch them out. :D

David

Last edited:
Could be your plugs? At my work we have a spark plug tester, you screw in the spark plug and push a button which makes the plug spark. Now, sometimes a plug will make make spark without any pressure applied. Now, the tester has a dial on it and is hooked up to an air hose. So you push the button which starts firing the plug, then you turn up the pressure and if the plug is good it should stay firing, but sometimes a plug will lose spark at pressure, like the pressure in a combustion chamber. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a spark plug can look good and even spark when normally tested, but be bad when tested under pressure. Make sense?

Guess I should just change the plugs and wires the wires have some miles on them. The plugs are almost new. I could have messed up an oxygen senson. I have been running 110 octane a little to much. I just hope it is not a tear the engine down situation. I dont have a heated garage and it gets real cold here in the winter.

Hey Tim, post your location in your profile, and maybe someone lives near you. Fellow SC'ers are all over, and you may have one down the road from you.

Have you ran codes? A rich or lean condition would show up as a code. My bad O2 sensor didn't throw a code, but since the other side of the motor was getting too much gas, it gave me a code on that side. After I replaced the bad one, the code on the other side went away.

Pull codes and see what you get.

David

It wouldn't hurt to check your motor mounts, I had one that was broke in two and it caused a bad miss.

I live in Antioch Il just north of chicago. Its not a motor mount its in the engine. I have to get a code scanner and see what it reads out. I wanted to get one last run in for the year and see if I get into the 13?? second bracket. The electronic part of these cars drives me crazy. I just dont want to start chahging things till I fall on the right part. That gets real expensive fast. Tim

Tim,I've been chasing a miss under boost for nearly a month now...pulled/checked the plugs[the were installed in May],changed the wires,swapped out the DIS,coilpak...nothing worked..so today I put my old plugs back in.Miss is gone!So the problem must have been the new plugs...one of them apparantly is bad.I would look there again..good luck.
z

I put in new plugs just for preventative maintenance, and had a miss right after. I was also replacing a blown radiator. I just figured I would do it all: plugs, wires, steel pullies, belts, radiator, radiator hoses. Well, after buying new plugs from Ford, problem fixed. My miss happened only under boost. It ran great outside of that. One of the new plugs I put in (just happened to be the #1 cylinder) had two cracks 180 degrees apart from each other all the way down the ceramic where the boot goes over. I hope this helps.

Tim

I can also list a few other possibilities to check out.

1.) The main computer
2.) Check all grounds and make sure they are connected and clean.
3.) Vacuums
4.) and most important. <<<<SPARK PLUGS>>>> :p
SPARK PLUGS

I will start tomorrow and start with the plugs. Had to take the wifes car and go on a 600 mile rescue mission last night. i ended yp sleeping all day. The old crown vic is fun to drive on the highway. Had to run up and help a friend. That had worse problems than a car.

Tim was that 110 gas leaded?If it was ,I would look at the plugs ,o2 sensors,
& cats.I don't know if leaded gas will hurt the cats.
Randy

Last edited:
I've got a set of o2 sensors sitting on my workbench. Their old and dirty but they came out of a running car. Let me know if you want me to send them out there.

Randy N Connie said:
Tim was that 110 gas leaded?If it was ,I would look at the plugs ,o2 sensors,
& cats.I don't know if leaded gas will hurt the cats.
Randy
Leaded gas clogs up cats. Leaded gas is bad, Mmmmkay.

Darkside said:
Leaded gas clogs up cats. Leaded gas is bad, Mmmmkay.

I didn't know leaded gas was still available. All I've ever seen around here for the last 20 years is unleaded.

David

I bought the gas at the track. My cats cant really plug up. They are high flow straight thru. I have been working so many hours that I havent had time to do a thing. 91 hours is kind of average for me with a top of over 100. I really wanted to get the car running before the snow flys but it dont look good. This car is broke more than it runs. If it is something minor I will fix it . If its major. I dont know what I will do. I have spent major money on this thing and I really cant see throwing good money after bad to run 13 seconds. If it sounds like I am discouraged right on. Wish I knew someone close by that was really good with these cars Tim

NCredSC said:
I didn't know leaded gas was still available. All I've ever seen around here for the last 20 years is unleaded.

David
My brother runs AVGAS in his Mustang, although, it is Carb'd and doesn't have any cats. AVGAS is 100LL. I wish I could run it in my car but I'm not sure if it would hurt my 02 sensors. Tim, ever think of moving to New Mexico? :D I loooooooove working on these cars. I can't wait till my headgaskets blow just so I have an excuse to tear it down. :p I'm sick that way.

Back