Possible loud exhaust question.

Bigme574

I am thinking about going with a magnaflow muffler dual in(2.5) to 3.5 out in place of my resonator. I have 2 high flow cats from scp, so..What I want to do is go from stock manifolds back to the 2 cats, through the muffler then back out to 2 pipes in the back. The muffler body is 22'' long, will this be too loud or drony? Or will it sound nice? Thanks for any input.

Aaron
asheets1@umbc.edu

Hey Aaron,
I got the stock exhaust manifolds to the SCP system: (2-1/4" Hi-Flow cats, 2-1/2" tubing to the Magnaflow Resonator, to 3" piping, to 3" Y pipe, to two sets 2-1/2" piping, to Dynomax mufflers). System is quiet yet deep and throaty. Hard to explain, but I love it. It does not sound like a V-6 Camaro with glass Packs :rolleyes: , and it does not sound like a honda either.
I've heard a lot of people going without the resonator say it makes it louder. Just my .02..

I have a straight pipe that replaced my stock resonator and two Magnaflow SS Mufflers and it sounds really nice. If I added a Magnaflow resonator I'm sure that I could even make it quieter. I like the sound as it almost sounds like a V-8 at idle and is not too loud when your foot is in the gas. Anyone else that has an SC always comments, "You did the exhaust, didn't you".

I think that you could try the resonator and just add mufflers if it is too loud for you. How quiet do you want it anyway?

thanks

A nice V8 sounds would be good but I want something throaty without a drone. I will do that, just get mufflers later.

Thanks for the info
Aaron

There has been a theory floated around that you might want to think about when doing this. The stock downturns on the exhaust seem to point nearly straight down.

It's possible that the drone that some people hear with louder exhaust could be due to reflected sound off the roadway due to these down turns. So if you are sensitive to that you might want to look at how you can work your exhaust exits to keep them pointed back, rather than under the car. Maybe a dual wall exhaust tip and some small cut outs in the rear bumper cover.

It's just a thought.

Back