Stock Replacement Sub

Radio Shack has a 6 1/2" subwoofer that fits on the stock box. I believe JL Audio has a 6 1/2" as well.

Come to think of it, Rockford Fosgate has one too, I sorta remember seeing it in a catalog, i think. :confused:

Maybe someone out knows of some more, well I hope this helps..

I am going to put a JL 6W0 in mine. I took the box apart and used a jig saw to cut off the top opening so that the woofer will fit without hitting the top when it is playing. I moved my good audio equipment to my new car so I am going to try to use the stock box with a decent woofer in it. The JL is pretty good considering it is only 6 1/2". I am using a Kicker 5 channel amp to run the entire system since I moved my JL amps to my new car.

alot of people buy like a 8 inch JL and port there stock sub box. ive heard it adds the missing bass to your system and sounds nice with the stock amp.

Blown Amp

SuperCoupe007 said:
Radio Shack has a 6 1/2" subwoofer that fits on the stock box. I believe JL Audio has a 6 1/2" as well.

Come to think of it, Rockford Fosgate has one too, I sorta remember seeing it in a catalog, i think. :confused:

Maybe someone out knows of some more, well I hope this helps..

I dont have alot of money so I tried the Radio Shack speaker, DONT DO IT
It sounded like **** and it melted the guts out of my amp in 5 minutes
Anyone know how to get a hold of a factory amp? the boneyards around here have been picked clean

:( :( :( I am sorry to hear about your amp. I had not had any experience w/ a subwoofer from radio, but remember hearing some people recommend them.. I won't recommend the Radio Shack one any more.. Have you tried the "Want to Buy" forum ?? that could be a good place..

kw92stock said:
I dont have alot of money so I tried the Radio Shack speaker, DONT DO IT
It sounded like **** and it melted the guts out of my amp in 5 minutes
Anyone know how to get a hold of a factory amp? the boneyards around here have been picked clean

Just be careful with the next amp.....Speakers don't melt amps, but mis-wiring the speaker to the amp could.

check ebay for that amp. i replaced my stock sub with a rockford fosgate 6.5" sub that i ordered from www.thezeb.com . it works and sounds great. i broke the crap outta that box though taking it apart. i think it's a punch HE series sub.

Thermal Meltdown

kw92stock said:
I dont have alot of money so I tried the Radio Shack speaker, DONT DO IT. It sounded like **** and it melted the guts out of my amp in 5 minutes.
Some amps require the SPK (-) to be returned to the amp. With other amps its OK to GND the SPK (-). However if you GND the SPK (-) on an amp that needs it returned, the amp will go into Thermal Meltdown.

Since you are using the OEM amp, it sounds to me like you wired the speaker wrong. Did you do something silly like wire the speaker for 1 or 2 ohms?

68COGAR

Back