Just picked up an XR7..lotsa ?'s inside :-(

MN12owner

Ok, first off, for $600.00, it definatly wasn't a bad deal...It started right up, and I drove it 255 miles home...abused it a little too, but it has some probs....here is a list of probs...

1) When accelerating (hard or soft), it almost has a bad knock/VERY rough acceleration, although still good power...Could it be a motor mount? Thats what it sounds/feels like anyway...
2)184K miles on it, still putting out a little over 12 lbs of boost...could this be considered "good"??
3)it actually has a 4 speed manual trannie...any ideas where to find a make/part # to figure out its specs?
4) Already bought a bigger TB, 95 blower/plenum...think the motor can handle these?
5) the head lights work "Intermittently"...is it just the switch? or an I in for a wireing nightmare?
6) during a "0-speed limit" test, I chirped 2nd and 3rd...Can I assume the clutch still has lotsa life left?

Ok, thats all for now, I will be posting in the wanted forum of numerous little pieces I need to put the coug back in showroom shape (My whole reason for buying it).

oh yeah, note on #4, I will be replacing the engine with a heftier one within the yr or so, so I am not expecting it to remain reliable that much longer :)

quick35th said:
A four speed? Thats interesting.

Shane

yeah, speaking of which..all the 5 speed guys...what your RPM at in 4th at 70 mph? Mine was at 2500...sound right to be a 4 speed? or is the trannie just THAT messed up??? I couldn't find a fifth gear, and god knows I tried at least 10 times (Outta habit)...

Well they didn't come from the factory with 4 speeds. You should try to jack the front of the car up and take a pic of what the tranny looks like. Then we can tell what the situation is.

As for the RPM at 70MPH, I am not sure. I think it is about 2500, but not sure.

Shane

Shane,

I will do that tomorrow...I spent over 12 hrs away from the house today just to go and pick up the car :D I figure it is a "other brand" of trannie...I have heard that first gear is really short...not in this car...at 5K rpms, I shift into 2nd at roughly 40 mph....anyway, I will definatly take a pic tomorrow...also, is posting pix here the same as TCCOA? thanx

Shane

MN12owner said:
Shane,

I will do that tomorrow...I spent over 12 hrs away from the house today just to go and pick up the car :D I figure it is a "other brand" of trannie...I have heard that first gear is really short...not in this car...at 5K rpms, I shift into 2nd at roughly 40 mph....anyway, I will definatly take a pic tomorrow...also, is posting pix here the same as TCCOA? thanx

Shane

Well you with stock gears you can top out at around 40mph with the M5R2. I did earlyer today.

I dont know how the pic thing works over on the TCCOA. I am rarely over there. I like the SCCoA so much better.

Shane

MN12owner said:
Ok, first off, for $600.00, it definatly wasn't a bad deal...It started right up, and I drove it 255 miles home...abused it a little too, but it has some probs....here is a list of probs...

1) When accelerating (hard or soft), it almost has a bad knock/VERY rough acceleration, although still good power...Could it be a motor mount? Thats what it sounds/feels like anyway...

Put the car up on ramps or jackstands and look at them. It will be very apparent when they are bad. There is a limiter built into the bracket. If it's shot the limiter will hit the top of the bracket.

2)184K miles on it, still putting out a little over 12 lbs of boost...could this be considered "good"??

11-12 lbs is stock boost

3)it actually has a 4 speed manual trannie...any ideas where to find a make/part # to figure out its specs?

The car came with a M5R2 (5 speed manual), can't help you on the 4 speed.

4) Already bought a bigger TB, 95 blower/plenum...think the motor can handle these?

I don't see why not.

5) the head lights work "Intermittently"...is it just the switch? or an I in for a wireing nightmare?

No, just go down and buy a new $12 headlight switch.

6) during a "0-speed limit" test, I chirped 2nd and 3rd...Can I assume the clutch still has lotsa life left?

If you can accelerate in top gear and can feel no slip it's most likely good for a while.

Ok, thats all for now, I will be posting in the wanted forum of numerous little pieces I need to put the coug back in showroom shape (My whole reason for buying it).

oh yeah, note on #4, I will be replacing the engine with a heftier one within the yr or so, so I am not expecting it to remain reliable that much longer :)

One thing I left out as far as #1 goes...The nose bearings in the SC are bad...a lot of play in it...could this cause the knocking sound?

MN12owner said:
One thing I left out as far as #1 goes...The nose bearings in the SC are bad...a lot of play in it...could this cause the knocking sound?

That's possible, eliminate the blower by removing the belt, then test drive.

MN12owner said:
I think I'll do that :D that would be nice if that is all it is!!!

Shane

That was it! well, I am 95% sure..I did remove the best and spin the blower...made a slight knocking sound..Then re-installed the belt, started, and revved..the knock got louder...and my wife told me that is what she heard when we drove it home yesterday :) Thanks for all of the help :)

Run the car without the blower belt

Take the blower belt completely off and run it and see if its knocking

That will tell you rightaway

I just did, and the "sound" went away, but the engine runs rough...rough to the point of shaking the car (Only when accelerating)...sooo, Motor mounts are the next thing I'll check. unless someone has other opinions/ideas???

MN12owner said:
I just did, and the "sound" went away, but the engine runs rough...rough to the point of shaking the car (Only when accelerating)...sooo, Motor mounts are the next thing I'll check. unless someone has other opinions/ideas???

Congrats on finding a 600 XR7, my SC was 300 :D

Mine acted like that, and it wasn't anything more than a vacuum leak... clankin blower and all... It was leaking from all Inter Cooler tubes :eek:

I sprayed some "engine starting fluid" into the IC joints, and around vacuum lines, and found the leak right away. Engine will rev slightly if you spray in a leaking area.

I'm actually doing the motor mounts in my $300 SC (now my little brothers) right now as well. I replaced my motor mounts in my "good SC" a few years ago, and I just removed the exhaust manifolds, starter, IC tubes, and loosened the steering joint. Plenty of room then.

Good luck!

Last edited:
a Vacuum leak can cause that? boy do I have a lot to learn...and it ran rough and made a wierd knocking sound? If so, then I definatly thank you tons b/c I was about to bring it to a shop and spend a few hundred just to get it to smooth out a little....I'll go check that stuff out now.

MN12owner said:
a Vacuum leak can cause that? boy do I have a lot to learn...and it ran rough and made a wierd knocking sound? If so, then I definatly thank you tons b/c I was about to bring it to a shop and spend a few hundred just to get it to smooth out a little....I'll go check that stuff out now.

Shane, did you check the fluid in the supercharger? Not sure if that could be part of the problems if it's low.

David

MN12owner said:

Mine made the sound with the SC belt on... but still ran rough with the belt off, and still had a little (alot less) intermittent clanking. ym clankign kinda sounded like popcorn poping if I recall correctly..

Cleared up when I found the huge VAC leaks in the IC tubes.

The vacuum of the engine will sill cause the SC to spin alittle, even tough the belt isn't on, so there may still be a slight clank.

I was told it the vacuum leak would casue back and fourth movement of the SC, making the clanking sound. It also made a noise on engine shutdown that sounded like "applause" kinda for a few seconds...

That went away also.

I if still running rough, you may check for spark on each cylinder, by removing the plugs from the coil pack to see if the spark is jumping for each plug.

I noticed an intermittent miss, and found that spark was not always there. It could be the coil pack, there is only 3 coils, 1 for each 2 cylinders.
But i figured first I'd move onto the plugs and wires, and during that process, I found badly broken motor mounts, which is what I'm about to go and try to finish tonight. Got mine from mn12 performance.com, $70 plus shipping.

Be sure to do some research on motor mounts, solid vs hydrolic, etc. They recommend the solid ones around here, which is what mn12performance sells.

Good luck!

Back