got oil in your intercooler?

DNA

I've seen some threads regarding engine oil accumulating in the intercooler and connector pipes which got me to thinking of a practical solution. The shop compressors also pass oil into the air stream which is destructive to the spray guns, not to mention the paint job. The answer is to add an oil separator to the PCV vacuum line. I made a simple one with a Norgren compressor part, but I also saw an advert on the ALLFORDMUSTANGS.com web site for a similar item. This one costs more, but it's a ready to use package. To those who suffer from this ailment, check this out.

Buy it, or better yet, build your own for about $20. Home Depot has a low-cost separator for their Campbell-Hausfeld compressor products. The picture in the link makes a great template.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/artman/publish/article_404.shtml

Do you know if the pressure in the PCV line is strong enough to push air through the filter in the separator?

sounds like a cool idea, where exactly would u splice and put it into, any hose inbetween the pcv and the plenum ? Alex L

oil seperator

wont you need 2 of these one for each side also look for them at harbor frieght tools it will be cheaper for sure.

scfix92 said:
wont you need 2 of these one for each side also look for them at harbor frieght tools it will be cheaper for sure.

Looks like the original steel tube will have to be replaced with PCV hose.
It is a tight fit compared to 5.0L motor. You'll only need one oil separator where the PCV valve is [RHS on SC motor] The tube to the LHS valve cover
is simply a fresh air supply to the crankcase with the source being air in the intake tube.

DNA, whats up...

I've been toying with this idea lately since i'm putting in a fresh motor and all.

As for harbor freight-- online they have a really crappy looking oil separator only and it is "inline" which I believe would make drainage intervals quite short. I've been looking around the internet (big pain). the only things i've seen are the steeda one- the one in your link, and some guys that made thier own, a some ebay stuff.
one out of a "husky" brand oil separator. Do you have any information on Husky being the same as Campbell-Hausfeld. The one from the internet with the Husky said that the directions page said that both conventional and sythetic oils will "attack" the plastic housing of the separator. -- Sounds not so good to me. link!! http://www.omslaw.net/tech/catchcanmod.htm

The other i found has an "amflo" separator from the home depot, didn't see that when i was there, looks like plastic also so that may not be good. http://captainoblivious.tripod.com/truck/separator.html

I like the design of these because it looks like you could put a hose on the bottom and make it drain somewhere--- still thinking about that one!?!?!

so i'm down to this, so far the steeda one is the only one that is made out of metal or am i wrong there, i guess it looks like it could be plastic too. But i bet steeda would use a plastic that would be ok with oils, maybe. But thats 60$$ Spinningwheels-SC sells some on ebay that look like steeda but blue top and those are 50$$, and then the cheapys are about 20$$ or so for everything. I like cheap but I would like some amount of quality and i don't what the thing turning yellow.

Let me know what you think, and what you know.

Jim

Buy the cambell hausfield one at wallyworld for $12 and the fittings at harbor freight for 5 bucks. Then look at the one on ebay. TWINS!! :p

Back