Damn this is getting depressing... My Shootout update

BlackbirdSC

Welp... been home from the shootout for a couple hours. Here's my take on it...

Since I've been busy most of the summer with looking for a house/land and dirt track racing, the SC's been pretty neglected since I broke the stock (193K mile) dr. side half shaft. I put a new RAxle in back in June, drove it about 500 miles and haven't driven it since. (remember this part) This past week I started getting it ready for the shoot. Needed to put on my new driver seat cover (long story), change the oil, install the KVR rear rotors, rebuild the rear calipers, fix an exhaust hanger and install my LM1 rpm/aux. input. Then get the truck unloaded from the races the week before and swap the dirt car for the SC on the trailer. Everything goes kinda smoothly and we leave a little late Thur. night (broke a brake bleeder off which sux and had to JB weld the oil pan since it cracked by the drain plug).

Anyway, off to the track yesterday. Nice cool morning, clear, fly paper for a track.. thinking I'm gonna have good day. Unload the car, got the Hoosier Quick Time Pro's on, few finally tweaks to the tuner and off we go. Heat the tires up, pull up to the line, 2700.... blink ..... blink.... out with the clutch on the last yellow and SNAP!!!! ....................................

The string of obsenities that followed would make the devil blush. Thank god I had a helmet on and the windows were up. Yup.... that 500 mile... brand spanking new RAxle half shaft snapped like a twig. Truly amazing considering the stock one lived 193k+ and had at least 30 track launches on it and the right side is a 4-5 year old RAxle that is fine.

So... it was great to see everyone again... to see Coy run in the 10s (even though I don't think the hood was open for anyone to see inside all day and it wasn't there for the dyno ** big surprise **)..... and get away from home for a couple days. Now I have to pull the damn car apart again and contact RAxle on Monday. If they don't replace this axle you can bet I'll post my experience on every MN12 board known to man.

Steve

BlackbirdSC said:
Welp... been home from the shootout for a couple hours. Here's my take on it...

Since I've been busy most of the summer with looking for a house/land and dirt track racing, the SC's been pretty neglected since I broke the stock (193K mile) dr. side half shaft. I put a new RAxle in back in June, drove it about 500 miles and haven't driven it since. (remember this part) This past week I started getting it ready for the shoot. Needed to put on my new driver seat cover (long story), change the oil, install the KVR rear rotors, rebuild the rear calipers, fix an exhaust hanger and install my LM1 rpm/aux. input. Then get the truck unloaded from the races the week before and swap the dirt car for the SC on the trailer. Everything goes kinda smoothly and we leave a little late Thur. night (broke a brake bleeder off which sux and had to JB weld the oil pan since it cracked by the drain plug).

Anyway, off to the track yesterday. Nice cool morning, clear, fly paper for a track.. thinking I'm gonna have good day. Unload the car, got the Hoosier Quick Time Pro's on, few finally tweaks to the tuner and off we go. Heat the tires up, pull up to the line, 2700.... blink ..... blink.... out with the clutch on the last yellow and SNAP!!!! ....................................

The string of obsenities that followed would make the devil blush. Thank god I had a helmet on and the windows were up. Yup.... that 500 mile... brand spanking new RAxle half shaft snapped like a twig. Truly amazing considering the stock one lived 193k+ and had at least 30 track launches on it and the right side is a 4-5 year old RAxle that is fine.

So... it was great to see everyone again... to see Coy run in the 10s (even though I don't think the hood was open for anyone to see inside all day and it wasn't there for the dyno ** big surprise **)..... and get away from home for a couple days. Now I have to pull the damn car apart again and contact RAxle on Monday. If they don't replace this axle you can bet I'll post my experience on every MN12 board known to man.

Steve

Steve, I didn't even know you were there! I would've liked to have met you since you live so close. I had a black SC ('magine that) and I think I was right behind you when you broke. Sorry!

Back