How would this exhaust setup sound?

x182dan

I was wondering how this exhaust setup would sound. I want to us a magnaflow resenator, no mufflers, and no cats. I want to use the magnaflow resenator as an xpipe, dual inlet and dual outlet. I am also probably gonna get ported manifolds. I have attached a picture of the resenator. Thanks for the input, Dan.

Attachments

• magnaflowresenatoredit.bmp
    179.2 KB · Views: 209
x182dan said:
I was wondering how this exhaust setup would sound. I want to us a magnaflow resenator, no mufflers, and no cats. I want to use the magnaflow resenator as an xpipe, dual inlet and dual outlet. I am also probably gonna get ported manifolds. I have attached a picture of the resenator. Thanks for the input, Dan.

IMO probably unbearable for most....

I have a Full EXH. ALL Magnaflow Strait through design muufs and resonator with no cats and my car is LOUD....I can only imagine what that would sound like...Yikes...But hey....If loud is good and that is what you are aimin' for then its all good man...

Brad

I've heard a clip of the exhaust setup I want, the guy had a magnaflow resenator and nothing else it sounder real good. His wasn't true dual, so how would doing true dual change the sounod of it?

hey cudaz, do you like your sound? i am going with gutted cats, magnaflow res, dynomax superturbos, i hope it sounds good!

92redsc said:
hey cudaz, do you like your sound? i am going with gutted cats, magnaflow res, dynomax superturbos, i hope it sounds good!

I am pretty sure you will be happy with it..Just make sure you use the longest Magnaflow resonator. That would be my only suggestion.

I like the sound of my car, but I get drone at uphill cruise speeds when the car is under a little load...If I am just cruising it is fine, and at WOT it sounds great...I dunno I have mixed feelings about it I guess..haha

Brad

I heard a setup just like that at the shootout.

It sounded like this: Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaa brum brum brum brum brum Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ooooooooooooooooooooooo zum zum zum zum :)

Slysc said:
I heard a setup just like that at the shootout.

It sounded like this: Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaa brum brum brum brum brum Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ooooooooooooooooooooooo zum zum zum zum :)

Am I retarded cause I don't get it?

I got gutted cats, magnaflow resonator dual in single out, then it splits back out into dual outlets about 3 or 4 feet after the resonator. sounds good to me and others have said it sounds good.. its loud though. But thats they way I like it loud and proud!

exhaust sound

Guys,

That exhaust sound that Dan is talking about is mine and when I romp on it, it gets real ricey. That is why I just ordered a pair of high flow cats to muffle it. I am sometimes ashamed to drive my car when it gets in the higher rpms. Right now all I have is true duals-xpipe-mufflers and all 2.5in. You are going to need one other sound deterent in there. If you just put the resonator in there it is going to sound like rice around 2800rpms.

By the way thanks for pointing that out, like I already didn't know that! :p I am gettin-er-done though, no more rice for me!

See Ya,
Brandon

I think I'm gonna go with it, I'm gonna use the longest magnaflow muffler I can. bbird94 how long was your magnaflow?

Forgive me for my response which was ripe with sarcasm and mockery.
It was obviously not a sincere attempt to answer the origional question but more of a statement of the absurdity of the question.

The question "how would this setup sound", is all but impossible to answer yet it get's asked quite often. The exhaust note of a certain car is determined by many many variables. Length of tubes between resonators or mufflers, diameter of tubes, duration and lift of cam, style of headers/manifolds, the design of the mufflers, the placement and quantity of mufflers and or resonators, with or without cats, and more. The exhaust note of a car will change as the exhaust system gets "seasoned" with use. Teams of engineers spend huge amounts of time and money testing and designing exhaust systems for OEM and aftermarket manufacturers to try to duplicate or create a certain sound. What kind of answer would be acceptable? Would you like your answer to be in a frequency chart? or in a generalization like "it would sound like a V6 with free flowing exhaust" or with an artisticly literary flare like "the tenor note of this exhaust would magnify the true spirit of your SC and distinguish it from the common V8 and the whiney ricer"? :rolleyes: I guess you were probably looking for an answer like "it would sound sweet", or "It would sound farty or riceish". But at the time I figured that the subjective nature of such an answer would be of no benifit to you.

The exhaust system that you described has been done on many SCs and is significantly louder than systems which have mufflers in the rear. Yet, many people enjoy it louder. Only you can tell if it's music to your ears. :)

when i did mine i was scared of having that rice sound. so i got the works. hf cats, the long magnaflow resonator, and thrush turbo mufflers, which the exhaust shop kept making jokes on. wonder why :confused: but i love the sound. it has this real deep sound to it. its all bass, and its getting louder and the mufflers get broke in. i wish i couldve heard how it sounded going down the track or being dynoed, but im really happy with it. just to show that cats and mufflers wont necessarily ruin the sound.

I supose I should ring in here. I have stock manifold, stock down tubes with stock cats that go into a Magnaflow res and then it remains stock all the way back with the exception of there being no mufflers. I think it sounds great! There is absolutely no resonance at any speed and while cruising down the freeway if you go any faster than 70mph it actually starts getting quieter. I wouldn't want it to be any different.

What did you guys think of how it sounded on the dyno at the shootout?

I have it on video tape if you want to hear it? Just find someone to host it for me.

Shane

specops_SC said:
when i did mine i was scared of having that rice sound. so i got the works. hf cats, the long magnaflow resonator, and thrush turbo mufflers, which the exhaust shop kept making jokes on. wonder why :confused: but i love the sound. it has this real deep sound to it. its all bass, and its getting louder and the mufflers get broke in. i wish i couldve heard how it sounded going down the track or being dynoed, but im really happy with it. just to show that cats and mufflers wont necessarily ruin the sound.
I have much of what you have. I'm going to be putting in high flow cats which're sitting in my garage right now soon. I'm wondering how much of a sound difference it'll make? I know it'll defenatly help increase flow. Hell I'll probably get new downpipes done as well.

Its going to be really loud and ricey. Get some mufflers and you will like the results a lot better.

Back