i/c tubes removal for power steering pump replacement??

FastBird91

I need to replace the power steering pump. I saw a thread saying the i/c tubes need to be removed in order to do this. Is this true? Also anyone recommend any brand pump. It would be nice if its quiet.
Thanks

i'm pretty sure u have to take out the IC tubes and intercooler maybe, just get the tbird88 reusable gaskets, or go with the seal kit from spinningwheels-sc.com (Victor) (has an extra strip, 5 total (incase u mess up one u have an extra one) and also a tube sealer) if u want to stay with the orig stuff.. i went with a motorcraft one from ford, still made noise, someone said i should bleed it, so i guess i still gotta do that..so dont forget that like i did :) Alex L

When you pull the IC tubes off, you can unbolt the top tube directly at the blower top rather than messing with that collar nut, unless you have a special wrench to get it off. Looks like a bigger job than what it really is.
I would suggest drivers side plugs and motor mount IF they are bad, as this is the ideal time to do them cause all this stuff has to come off again to do them later.
Search thread: "Motor Mount Experts Or Not" as I gave a step by step on how to do motor mounts on my 1990, and it pretty much explains how to get to the P/S Pump removed.

FastBird91 said:
I need to replace the power steering pump. I saw a thread saying the i/c tubes need to be removed in order to do this. Is this true? Also anyone recommend any brand pump. It would be nice if its quiet.
Thanks
After you change the pump and get 'er all back together, get both front tires off the ground and fire up the engine. Rotate the steering wheel back and forth from lock-to-lock about 10-12 times. Set 'er back on the ground and drive around the block, pump will probably be quiet.

I had to change a hose on my '89, this was done with a used pump and sure enuff...no more groaning.

Thanks to whoever posted this bleeding procedure way back when, it worked for me!

'bird

tbird88 said:
After you change the pump and get 'er all back together, get both front tires off the ground and fire up the engine. Rotate the steering wheel back and forth from lock-to-lock about 10-12 times. Set 'er back on the ground and drive around the block, pump will probably be quiet.

I had to change a hose on my '89, this was done with a used pump and sure enuff...no more groaning.

Thanks to whoever posted this bleeding procedure way back when, it worked for me!

'bird

Your welcome. :D

Thanks to autozone I got to be an expert at installing pumps :mad:

Back