supercharger removal...I'm stuck!!!

MN12owner

Ok, trying to remove the SC of off my 89 XR7, I have removed all 3 blower bolts and disconnected everything that I can think of (TB, blower top, IC tubes, etc.) I want to SC and the plenum to come out as one...but it seems like it is hanging up in the back...The pic below is where I think its hanging up at...By grabbing the nose of the blower, I can move it up about 3 inches and wiggle it left to right, but If I try to move it from where the TB connects, I can only move it like 1" or so...any ideas???

removalSC.jpg
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, you need to unbolt the EGR valve. You should be careful wiggling the SC around until you get it unbolted so you don't break the EGR tube going down to the manifold. I broke mine on my '89, and i hear they are not available any more.

The bolts should be 10mm, and they are a pain to get to. You have a pic of the easy one, the other on is on the other side closer to the center of the engine. Taking the cowl off might help, but I use a short flex head 3/8 ratchet to reach in there.

Andy 94SC said:
Yes, you need to unbolt the EGR valve. You should be careful wiggling the SC around until you get it unbolted so you don't break the EGR tube going down to the manifold. I broke mine on my '89, and i hear they are not available any more.

The bolts should be 10mm, and they are a pain to get to. You have a pic of the easy one, the other on is on the other side closer to the center of the engine. Taking the cowl off might help, but I use a short flex head 3/8 ratchet to reach in there.

Is there a way I can delete the whole EGR system?

MN12owner said:
Is there a way I can delete the whole EGR system?

do a search but I believe you can make a block off plate and cap the manifold. You might need a chip to turn the CE light off though.

Pulled my SC today

I also have an '89 XR-7. I pulled my blower today. Did you disconnect the 2 hoses UNDER the Throttle Body? They are hot water hoses to preheat the TB for winter driving.

Also what you will need to do is get under the car, the egr valve has a downtube that runs to the exhaust manifold, there is no way to disconnect it from under the hood .. the easy way to do this is from under the car.. just jack it up and get a BIG wrench its probably rusted .. You may need a propane torch to heat up the nut & break the rust. If you don't have a torch, Soak the connection in PB Blaster several times, over 2 days, disconnect it from the manifold and pull the blower out tube and all .

Good Luck, & if you have any more questions, PLEASE feel free to ask. I'll help you any way I can.

68COUGAR

delete EGR

Deleting EGR is easy .. all you really need to do is find a screw in cap that will thread in to the bottom of the valve .. cap off the vac line .. and find a screw in plug for the exhaust manifold, I was at Mark (68Cougar's) house today helping him with all his upgrades he is doing ..and after we removed the blower we found that when his headers were installed the only thing that was done with his EGR was the vac line was removed and capped with the valve still in place.

Good luck

Ryan

EGR connection

You unknowingly took a pic of your own EGR connection

EGR connection.jpg

68COUGAR

Last edited:
CEL vs. EGR removal

wezar said:
You might need a chip to turn the CE light off though.
When My mechanic installed my headers & deleted my EGR, he told me that I might get a Check Engine Light (CEL) when the engine went into vaccume.

I've been running my '89 5'-spd XR-7 w/o EGR for several years now, & NEVER got a CEL!!!!!

I just pulled my blower toady. I'm running SCCoA headers so that automatically fixed my Exhaust end of EGR.

On the EGR Valve side, the vac. line was removed. Also the Exhaust side of the EGR valve was UN-plugged.

Makes me think that disconnecting the EGR tube AND leaving the vac. line CONNECTED to the EGR valve, might cause a CEL. In THAT case, during high vaccume, the EGR would suck in clean air. The new clean air would be injected AFTER the MAF & Throttle Body, which would lean out the fuel / air mixture.

A Lean F/A mix, might trigger a CEL.

Just a thought.

68COUGAR
_________

Last edited:
i live where there are emission check's...........will it pass a check with the egr removed?

68coug,

Like I said, I am totally new to these engines...I will try to get underthere and see what your talking about...I wish someone lived near me that had a clue!!! Thanx for the help and I'll definatly be asking for more help from you in the future...thanx again!

First pic will show you how far back the EGR sits when there is no cowling in the way.
Second pic shows you the back of the Intake Adapter, If you feel your way back there and find the vac pipe pointing down, then the hard to get to bolt is right next to it.
Sometimes easier to see what your trying to feel blindfolded on this car.. ;)

Attachments

• Rear Vac Hose Routing 1.jpg
    Rear Vac Hose Routing 1.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Adapter Intake Back 17.jpg
    Adapter Intake Back 17.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 183
Bob, that definately helps...Hopefully I can get to it. I need to go buy a different wrench sometime today...Until then, I am kinda stuck...my ratchet won't fit...

If you can't reach that last bolt, you can pull the EGR tube at the exhaust manifold from below (as the guys noted above), but they are usually REALLY rusted/welded on there from the heat and can break easily. I think it was FastEd that had a post a little while back talking about how that part is no longer available...So don't break it or you'll be at the junkyard. I'm using anti-seize when reinstalling it.
OR you can try pulling the plastic cowling off (you have to pull the wiper blades first & don't loose the plastic keepers). Cowling is 5 or six screws, two hex-head screws, two wiper fluid lines, and two 10mm nuts that hold the two vacuum trees to the bottom of the cowl..

YEAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Finally got it out! Looked inside the EGR...it looks like a black rock...no holes or anything, so If I had to guess...It has been clogged for awhile...oh well, I will be deleting it anyway...But I want to thank all of you for your help!!!!

Shane

Broken EGR tube

We dont' have emissions checks in MI. I'll sell you my removed '89 EGR tube & EGR valve, for $5.00 plus postage.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
We dont' have emissions checks in MI. I'll sell you my removed '89 EGR tube & EGR valve, for $5.00 plus postage.

68COUGAR

I'll Take em. Do you have paypal?

Yes

wezar said:
I'll Take em. Do you have paypal?

But I've only ever PAID for stuff. Except for 2 things that I sold for friends.

I'll Box up the EGR Tube & EGR Valve, & get a postage amount.

Need your Snail-Mail address to send the parts to.

Contact me Privately via E-mail. My E-ddress is: cougar AT QTM.net

Will let you know shipping cost, BEFORE I actually send the parts.

Mark Strand
"68COUGAR"

Shane,

I'm not sure if they have emissions in your county or not. They do in ours (Wake), but in 2006 North Carolina is changing that. 1996 and up will have emissions and safety and 1995 and older will just be safety for all counties.

David

68COUGAR said:
But I've only ever PAID for stuff. Except for 2 things that I sold for friends.

I'll Box up the EGR Tube & EGR Valve, & get a postage amount.

Need your Snail-Mail address to send the parts to.

Contact me Privately via E-mail. My E-ddress is: cougar AT QTM.net

Will let you know shipping cost, BEFORE I actually send the parts.

Mark Strand
"68COUGAR"

I sent you a email.

Thanks

I can send you a certified check or money order if that would be easier for you.

NCredSC said:
Shane,

I'm not sure if they have emissions in your county or not. They do in ours (Wake), but in 2006 North Carolina is changing that. 1996 and up will have emissions and safety and 1995 and older will just be safety for all counties.

David

Car will be registered in Alaska, so no worries either way...So, all I need to delete this is to literally just plug up any/all holes pertaining to the EGR system right?

Back