Wow, I need some help quick!

bifftannen

I'm replacing the 5spd in my 89 SC, and have run into a big problem. The very top right bolt that holds the tranny to the bellhousing is completely stripped, and I can't get it off!! Its tough to get to already, and I'm unsure of what to do to get this bolt off!! Do any of you have any suggestions? Is this something normal for a 15 year old car? Thanks in advance everyone!

try spraying some PB Blaster or equivalent in the general area and letting it soak overnight. If it stripped realllly bad you might want to go buy one of those sockets from sears that are made for rounded off bolts.

Easy

Hey, I am assuming the ehad is stripped. If that is the case go get the 'IRWIN BOLT-GRIP' set from Home Depot. I work there in hardware and I have used them plenty of times with 100% success. I think if you use the 12/13mm one you will get it off with ease! Give it a shot, and the kit WILL come in handy later on.

Aaron
asheets1@umbc.edu

Extractors.JPG

Or a set of these from Sears. They're like $50 and have saved my butt many times. Especially for getting the exhaust manifolds off the 5.4 in my F150.

Just get the 1/2"/13mm one on the bolt, then use a long extension or bar of some kind to pound it on with a hammer. Then use a socket or wrench to spin it out. Having a partner in crime to hold the thing in place helps too.

those bolt outs are the stuff, I took a stripped headbolt out of an sc with mine, and we all know how tight those are. and they are only $29.99 for the set.

I took the same bolt out (Left, though) w/ the Sears bolt out set. I got a wrench on it from the top and it came out w/ relative ease. G/L

Back