Stereo Question - Cant get out stock headunit, also weird problem with stereo

Matt94GT

I know I asked this in my other thead but I have some updates now. Sorry for the long post but can you please try to help me out!

My radio seems to turn on fine, it lights up etc it plays tapes but I dont hear anything, I can hear fuzz comming out of the speakers very slightly and I hear a noise comming from the rear of the car (probaly rear speakers) but no actual sound/music.

Also my CD player wont take in cds, how do you switch the radio to CD mode? or does it do it automatically when you insert a cd? does it suck the CD in like modern cd players (yeah its pretty old 1990) because i can push the cd in to about 80% and it still doesnt take it in. I dont see any lights on the cd player its self, just the trim when I turn on my headlights.

ALSO I tried taking out my stock cd player, I cant get it out, I used small/thin screwdrivers to push in the holes in the corners of the cd players but it seems as they just slip by what ever there supposed to be grabbing, any tips here?

Thanks in advance! :D

well one answer is yes you just stick the cd up there and it sucks it in and supposed to automaticaly change from radio to CD. sounds like you have some audio issuses.

To remove the radio or CD player you will need a special tool or two U-shaped pieces made of thick coat hanger wire. Push each U-shaped piece into one pair of holes about one inch deep and then push them outwards (away from each other).
I suspect you have a defective radio or controller/amplifier.

J.D. said:
To remove the radio or CD player you will need a special tool or two U-shaped pieces made of thick coat hanger wire. Push each U-shaped piece into one pair of holes about one inch deep and then push them outwards (away from each other).
I suspect you have a defective radio or controller/amplifier.

Well if it was the amp I wouldnt hear buzzing/fuzz would I?

J.D. said:
You could hear a buzzing sound that's caused by either the radio or the amp/controller. Check this post for opinions on which component is most likely to be bad: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51253

Would any other ford radio of the same generation plug right into the harness? Like one out of a 1993 F150 XLT? Or is there any way to test if its the acutal radio or not?

And/or any ideas on the cd player not workin?

Last edited:
The problem as described is more than likely a bad CD Player. The way this system was designed, when you turn on the head unit, it sends a power signal to the CD Player. At this pont, the CD player's own internal switching power supply module must power-up and if it does so successfully, it will in turn complete the audio loopback circuit for the head unit. Then the head unit will send audio signals to the amp(s) in the trunk. If the CD Player is bad (internal power supply), two things will happen: It won't suck-in a disc AND you won't get any audio for radio or tape even though the tuner/tape deck appear to function fine otherwise.

This is a VERY common problem with these units. Your CD Player must be repaired or replaced to get your audio back.

The head units have their own set of problems but they are generally isolated to particular channels (Left or Right) or to the tuner acting up.

Your issue I'm sure is the CD Player. Age and the resultant leaking Electrolytic Capacitors are the culprits.

Both units are fully repairable however and can be restored completely to like new operation.

Hope this helps.

TwoTimeSC

Okay so there is no way I can unplug it, or rewire it so I dont have a CD player? In other words if I dont wanna find another stock CD player im gonna have to take out the CD player AND the radio and put in a aftermarket CD player or what? If I put in aftermarket deck can I still use stock JBL amps/stereo?

And what CD players will work in there (stock fords that will plug right in) what year of SCs any other cars?

thanks a lot for the help

Back