Synthetic oil=Check engine light?

SCollord90

Well, I recently changed my oil using Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil and since that point when I drive my check engine light comes on but it goes away and comes back continually. I was wondering if the synthetic oil wouldn't register and the comp. would think I'm low on oiland set off the light. Anybody else have this problem or running synthetic oil? Thanks

SCollord90 said:
Well, I recently changed my oil using Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil and since that point when I drive my check engine light comes on but it goes away and comes back continually. I was wondering if the synthetic oil wouldn't register and the comp. would think I'm low on oiland set off the light. Anybody else have this problem or running synthetic oil? Thanks
My cars on mobil 1 and I have no problems :confused:

im also on mobil1 and never had any ce lights. the only thing is that the change oil now light on the vmm wont reset, but im starting to think the vmm is bad..

SCollord90 said:
Hey Andrew, that car used to do that when I first bought it. The RPM's would also jump to about 2000 until I turned the car off and restarted it. The check engine light would only come on when it was cold, it would shut off after I had driven for awhile. Anyway, one day I took the car to work and pressure washed the engine, after that day, the light never came back on (till now?) and the RPM's never jumped again. Not sure what the link was, but never had any more problems. Pull some codes, the oil has nothing to do with it.

Well crap. Should have known that there wasn't an easy fix. I looked the other day and my headers were melting an O2 sensor wire, I'm not sure since zip-tieing it if it will come back on it usually won't happen unless my drive is over 10 min. My next question is: where do I pull codes from? I really don't know how to do it on this car. If its anything like a fox-body I know what to do but I don't know what connections need to be made where. A diagram might be helpful.

Well the other night I was getting ready to leave my house and I heard this rattling from my exhaust. I got under the car and found a collector bolt w/ out a nut. I replaced it and now there is no check engine light. Of course as we all know it had to be the top of the 3 bolts which makes it the hardest to get to. Fun times. Anyway thanks for the help.

well don't get to excited yet...The light is back. Well just one time but not again. I am a little annoyed with it but if it doesn't come back ever again I won't worry about it. Right now I have money burning a hole in my pocket (sweeeeet sweeet bday money) and I'm hoping to spend it on something other than repairs. :eek: I'll let you know if anything happens again though. Thanks everybody for the input. :D

Which connectors on the EEC test plug do I connect? theres three in a row and one above in the middle. (kinda like where did he touch you but half as wrong)

Last edited:
well I broke down and bought a code runner. Sure enough my car has been running rich for the past 3 weeks! :mad: At least that explains the occasional smoke. When I get a chance I'll post a pick and you tell me what looks wrong.

Back