More Auto to Manual Tranny Questions

LXSC

As it stands, I've tracked down the following for an AOD to M5R2 swap:
Driveshaft, clutch pedal and brake pedal, flywheel, tranny crossmember, center console (which I probably want need as I just want to convert my auto to manual, it can be done right?), clutch master cylinder & reservoir.

And do I really need a new Crossmember? Right now it's got an AOD.

I believe I still need but question the following:
A connector wire harness from the clutch pedal, hydrolic lines/master cylinder

Now if I'm going to be using a 5.0 HO (auto no doubt), do I really need this connector wire? What is it for? And is there anything I've forgotten?
As for the lines and the cylinder, where can I get these items?

HOWEVER, now I'm starting to wonder about rebuilding parts. I've heard that an M5R2 can be rebuilt but at what cost? And where can I get parts. Now I'm thinkin' that this could be a temporary tranny until I build up a reliable AOD or AOD-E which would be more desireable anyway. HOWEVER, it has 200,000 km. No idea whether it was ever rebuilt. How long do these trannys last? It's going behind a 250 to 300 hp motor and really only needs to last another 50,000 km until I could swap in a new tranny the following year.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Just my $.02, but here it goes...

The center console TOP is different, but the surround is same- The shifter holes are completely different.
The cross member is different.
You will need the clutch wiring if youre doing it right- It becomes you rneutral safety switch, and disables cruise control when you depress clutch.

I have everything if you need anything- get rid of it cheap, just need the space!

Whoa

Do you have a rebuild kit as well? Regardless I will be wanting everything else you have that I need for this swap.

LXSC said:
As it stands, I've tracked down the following for an AOD to M5R2 swap:
Driveshaft, clutch pedal and brake pedal, flywheel, tranny crossmember, center console (which I probably want need as I just want to convert my auto to manual, it can be done right?), clutch master cylinder & reservoir.

And do I really need a new Crossmember? Right now it's got an AOD.

I believe I still need but question the following:
A connector wire harness from the clutch pedal, hydrolic lines/master cylinder

Now if I'm going to be using a 5.0 HO (auto no doubt), do I really need this connector wire? What is it for? And is there anything I've forgotten?
As for the lines and the cylinder, where can I get these items?

HOWEVER, now I'm starting to wonder about rebuilding parts. I've heard that an M5R2 can be rebuilt but at what cost? And where can I get parts. Now I'm thinkin' that this could be a temporary tranny until I build up a reliable AOD or AOD-E which would be more desireable anyway. HOWEVER, it has 200,000 km. No idea whether it was ever rebuilt. How long do these trannys last? It's going behind a 250 to 300 hp motor and really only needs to last another 50,000 km until I could swap in a new tranny the following year.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Did you happen across the article I wrote on the swap, it should have answered your questions here, but I admint some of it probably was not clear.

Some of this is going to depend on the year of your SC, but in general;
The crossmember is the same for both transmissions. the crossmember design changed over the years, but for a given year should be the same Auto or manual.

The electrical connection for the clutch pedal SHOULD be in you car already. In my '94 it was clipped to the sound insulation on the firewall. I have heard from other peopl who have done the swap that they found the connector taped up inside the electrical harness. I have heard from one person that they did not have the connector, and had to cut one out of a manual car, and splice it in. The connector does a couple of things, it is the neutral safety for the starter circuit, it also disab les the cruise control if the clutch is pressed, and it also is an input to the EEC, so the EEC can make adjustments during shifts for emmisions and shift quality.

I think the master, slave cylinder and hydrolic line SHOULD be available through a decent parts store, if not a dealership should be able to get them.

As for an M5R2 rebuild I paid about $500 for a basic freshening, but that was about 4 years ago, parts availability has changed and if more parts are worn it would likely cost more. On how long the trans lasts, Mine had 160k miles on it and probably could have gone quite a few more without a rebuild, my synchronizers were still working good. However, typically after 100k miles I would start thinking about a rebuild though.

On the center console you should only need the top part, where the shifter boot is attached.

Back