supercharger oil seal HELP!!!!!

gunman_sr5

I went into Ford today and was told to get the seal I had to orber the entire blower to get the seal... Anyway who all has replaced the seal and how did you get one??? The seal I am talking about is the on behind the pully on the sout of the supercharger...

Get in touch with Wynn:

www.texasthunderbirds.com

He has the seal you need, and he also has a snout rebuild kit for around $35 shipped-includes both bearings and the seal-that kit will give you peace of mind when rebuilding the snout.

If you are talking about a "snout rebuild" check TBird88 web site, he has a rebuild kit for about $40 w/ shipping, or somewhere around that amount.
It has a link on the upper right hand corner of the screen. it says "Texas Thunderbirds" I think...
P.S. I would recommend the IC gaskets he has. They seal up pretty good, and the best part, they are re-usable.. :)

You can pick up a replacement seal at just about any bearing/seal house. The good Viton seal is Chicago Rawhide# 7968 and will cost about $20.

David

gunman_sr5 said:
Thanks for the help guys. I found the seal through NAPA using the mesurments 20x47x7 for $6.

Be careful my NAPA couldn't order the Vinton double lipped seal. One of the other threads warns about using what NAPA says is the correct seal.

I followed David Neibert's instructions and found a bearing place. THANKS DAVE FOR SAVING ME SOME MONEY!!!! I ordered the Chicago Rawhide# 7968 and they said they could get it. I told them it had to be a Vinton double lipped oil seal. Well they got off the phone and cross referenced it to another brand found on the web (TCM) and took the one at the top of the list. Chicago Rawhide# 7967 the single lipped seal. The single lipped one was $4.33 and the double lipped was 8 something. Well I couldn't wait and installed the single lipped one. The outer seal was for dust and I don't plan on driving on gravel, so it will be just fine. That is what some of the guys on the web sell anyhow.

The install is really easy, find the thread where gldiii posts the instructions for replacement. I also sucked out all of the fluid and did a full flush of sc fluid and replaced the seal in about 1 hour. Just take your time and the factory seal has 2 layers of metal, you only need to drill through the first layer to get your screw to thread. SC fluid is $18 at ford for 4 oz. and $6 at GM. Good luck, you won't regret this easy fix.

Michael

90blkbrd said:
Be careful my NAPA couldn't order the Vinton double lipped seal. One of the other threads warns about using what NAPA says is the correct seal.

I followed David Neibert's instructions and found a bearing place. THANKS DAVE FOR SAVING ME SOME MONEY!!!! I ordered the Chicago Rawhide# 7968 and they said they could get it. I told them it had to be a Vinton double lipped oil seal. Well they got off the phone and cross referenced it to another brand found on the web (TCM) and took the one at the top of the list. Chicago Rawhide# 7967 the single lipped seal. The single lipped one was $4.33 and the double lipped was 8 something. Well I couldn't wait and installed the single lipped one. The outer seal was for dust and I don't plan on driving on gravel, so it will be just fine. That is what some of the guys on the web sell anyhow.

The install is really easy, find the thread where gldiii posts the instructions for replacement. I also sucked out all of the fluid and did a full flush of sc fluid and replaced the seal in about 1 hour. Just take your time and the factory seal has 2 layers of metal, you only need to drill through the first layer to get your screw to thread. SC fluid is $18 at ford for 4 oz. and $6 at GM. Good luck, you won't regret this easy fix.

Michael

noted... I am looking into into posible places to call to get the one you are talking about here.

I've seen the eaton m90 rebuild kit for sale on ebay recently search for thunderbird sc in ebay motors

90blkbrd said:

Michael
Where in the world did you find CR7967 at that price? I'm embarassed to admit what I've been payin'...let's just say it's a little over 10 but less than 12... :(

'bird

90blkbrd said:
I ordered the Chicago Rawhide# 7968 and they said they could get it.
CR 7968? Napa has them for $5.99... Yes, I was surprised too. :cool: Not sure what their catalog lists, so order by part #, not application.

snout seal info

SuperCoupe007 said:
TbirdSCFan::::: Have you personally tried the CR 7968 ?? and has it been a good experience ???
Thanks... :)

After checking with numerous automotive and industrial distributors, it appears National has the best seal for the M90 snout. National Oil Seals is now owned by Federal-Mogul. They manufacture the 20X47X7 seal, which is packaged under various labels including NAPA auto parts label. As you probably know, the part number simply describes the seal's dimensions. 47mm O.D., 20mm I.D., 7mm width or thickness. This seal does have a double lip and it does appear to work very well on a rebuilt M90 running 10% overdrive with no visible seepage after 75 hours of runnning time.
Attached are a couple pics for reference.
The UPC bar code number for this part is 7 24956 06253 9 .

I get these seals through Speed Warehouse in Hayward or Tustin, Calif.
They are $4.36 each. But any place that sells National Oil Seals should get it for you.

The Chicago Rawhide [CR] parts were difficult to locate on the west coast for some reason.

Attachments

• 100_0879.JPG
    100_0879.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_0881.JPG
    100_0881.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 152
tbird88 said:
Where in the world did you find CR7967 at that price? I'm embarassed to admit what I've been payin'...let's just say it's a little over 10 but less than 12... :(

'bird

I better clarify this. It wasn't a chicago rawhide seal it was a dichtomatik/TCM oil seal. If I have problems with this seal, I will inform everyone. So far it seems to be holding, installed it last Friday night.

SuperCoupe007 said:
TbirdSCFan::::: Have you personally tried the CR 7968 ?? and has it been a good experience ???
Thanks... :)
I have had the CR7968 from Napa on for about a year. No oil residue behind the pulley so far. :cool:

Back