Exhaust Suggestions

Geevaaa9112

Hey I just recently purchased a 93' SC......its my project car for now....anyone have any suggestions for an exhaust setup (If anyone knows if its ok to run no cats in mass.).

Hello
1. Its NOT ok to delete cats--legally
however you can do so and the car will run perfectly fine
you would have to put them back in for inspection time

2. go to a custom exhaust shop to get your system done
you will save money and have a solid -better fitting system

I would recommend getting a pair of high flow cats
get a high flow resonator or muffler to replace stock resonator( magnaflow\flowmaster\ etc...)
then the mufflers in back are your choice -- the stock arent too bad for flow

then let the exhuast shop bend up the new pipes and install
I think the easiest to do is mimic the stock system
and go 2 1/4" dual to 3" single then back to 2 1/4" dual back at the muffs

hope this helps point u in the right direction
this shop did my exhaust -I was satified and he will do a cash discount
R+D Exhaust 978-670-5222 -ricky

Ditto on what he said.

Another option is to go without a resonator and go with an X. If you decided to go with an X pipe, you would need to go with larger mufflers.....somewhere in the 19" range. This makes for a tight fit and you will need to put them on 45 degree angles that dump at the corners of the ground F/X. I know, I have 19" Borlas. If you go without a resonator, you will get a droaning that resonates from the system, this is why you would want to go with a larger muffler.

Check George Davenport's system as an example. He runs the above configuration and doesn't have any problems. I also have a video of his car on the dyno and it sounds very good.

Good luck, keep looking and reading, if you want to keep it "safe-sounding" and simple, mimic the oem system which was previously stated.

Resonator?

V8Supercoupe said:
Ditto on what he said.

Another option is to go without a resonator and go with an X. If you decided to go with an X pipe, you would need to go with larger mufflers.....somewhere in the 19" range. This makes for a tight fit and you will need to put them on 45 degree angles that dump at the corners of the ground F/X. I know, I have 19" Borlas. If you go without a resonator, you will get a droaning that resonates from the system, this is why you would want to go with a larger muffler.

Check George Davenport's system as an example. He runs the above configuration and doesn't have any problems. I also have a video of his car on the dyno and it sounds very good.

Good luck, keep looking and reading, if you want to keep it "safe-sounding" and simple, mimic the oem system which was previously stated.

I was thinking of goin 2 1/2 in dual all the way back with two high flow cats and borla mufflerr....would putting a resonator in reduce drone and help it pass MA inspection?thanks

Tom

In my opinion I wouldn't think the resonator has anything to contribute to it being inspected. I wouldn't bother.

I would go with 2 Borlas, not one. If it was a typo than I apologize.

Try doing a search for George's exhaust setup. I know there are links to pictures and discussions on what he did.

Good luck,
Skip

V8Supercoupe said:
In my opinion I wouldn't think the resonator has anything to contribute to it being inspected. I wouldn't bother.

I would go with 2 Borlas, not one. If it was a typo than I apologize.

Try doing a search for George's exhaust setup. I know there are links to pictures and discussions on what he did.

Good luck,
Skip

Would putting in a resonator reduce drone or quiet the car down in any way? if it would make it quieter i'd probably put one in, but if it'll sound decent with 2 highflow cats and borla or ravin mufflers i won't spend the extra $100 on a res. Another thing.....Would headers affect inspection a lot? and what would be the HP gain i might get from headers? OR What would the difference be between the gain from headers and the gain from just porting the stock headers?
Thanks for the info. i just want to get as much power as possible but still be able to legally drive the car....

Tom '93 red SC

Tom, I am sure a res. would quiet the car down more. I can't say for sure or how much as I haven't really been able to compare the two. If you were to go with a res. an X-pipe would be out of the question as I don't think you would have the room to accomodate both. I don't really know why someone would want both. These cars aren't loud anyway.

I don't think without the corresponding mods to support them you would find a big gain from headers. If you had a bunch of modifications done, you might see results, but on a stock setup, I think it is a waste. IMHO. Port the stockers if you want, but don't expect to feel any big increases.

I figure you'd be alright with emissions as long as your cats are up to snuff. You can probably find more info than your willing to read on the main boards as far as exhaust stuff goes. This has been an ongoing topic for years. A lot of guys can give you their opinions on their set ups and what they like best.

good luck,
Skip

headers gain

V8Supercoupe said:
Tom, I am sure a res. would quiet the car down more. I can't say for sure or how much as I haven't really been able to compare the two. If you were to go with a res. an X-pipe would be out of the question as I don't think you would have the room to accomodate both. I don't really know why someone would want both. These cars aren't loud anyway.

I don't think without the corresponding mods to support them you would find a big gain from headers. If you had a bunch of modifications done, you might see results, but on a stock setup, I think it is a waste. IMHO. Port the stockers if you want, but don't expect to feel any big increases.

I figure you'd be alright with emissions as long as your cats are up to snuff. You can probably find more info than your willing to read on the main boards as far as exhaust stuff goes. This has been an ongoing topic for years. A lot of guys can give you their opinions on their set ups and what they like best.

good luck,
Skip

I'm thinking of doing some engine mods, but not too many. Definitely going to replace the head gaskets and after that maybe a pulley for the SC. Definitely a cold-air intake and MAF and a new aluminum radiator. That probably wouldn't be enough to see a big gain from headers would it? maybe after i get the rest of it done, maybe a tuning chip when i get the money to throw into it, but we'll see.

Tom '93 5-speed SC

Hey Tom,
I am sure you MIGHT see something......how much of a gain, I don't know. I would factor in the gain in reference to the amount of money being spent. You could do the headers just to, "Get it over with".
You could also contact Wynn, AKA, Tbird88 and have him port the stockers. The question for me would be.....While I have them off, do I just want to throw the headers on, and be done with it?

You'll have to weigh what you want to do and how far your going to go with the car in the future.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57867&highlight=headers
Some food for thought. I did a search for headers.

Skip

Last edited:
Back