Can't find Evo sensor & harness, how to find?

cowtown

Hi guys, I'm trying to troubleshoot my heavy steering in my 94 SC and I can't seem to find the EVO connection to the power steering pump. I have been searching on here but can't seem to find anywhere describing how to get to it even after getting a flashlight and looking from nearly every angle.

What is the best way to get to it and where can I find it?

:confused:

cowtown said:
Hi guys, I'm trying to troubleshoot my heavy steering in my 94 SC and I can't seem to find the EVO connection to the power steering pump. I have been searching on here but can't seem to find anywhere describing how to get to it even after getting a flashlight and looking from nearly every angle.

What is the best way to get to it and where can I find it?

:confused:

It's pretty buried. The EVO is like a small adapter that goes between the pump and the high pressure line, you should see a two wire electrical connector attached to it.

You have to find where the high pressure line attaches to the side of the pump. That means you need to be able to get to the side of the pump. With the intercooler tubes in the way that is a problem. If you remove the upper you might be able to see it.

The resivoir is in the front clip of the car, the only thing around the power steering is the IC tubes, coolant overflow and the battery, will it really help removing the resivoir?

Do the EVO valves go bad time to time?

I think you're confusing the windshield washer reservoir with the coolant overflow tank. You will be able to see the plug if you look down in between the upper IC pipe and the washer reservoir. As BobGPz said, remove the windshield washer reservoir and you will be able to unplug the connector.

I was having steering problems and decided, along with the pump to go ahead and replace the EVO too. It's not a cheap part to replace. Since I plan to keep my car a long time and was replacing the pump anyhow, decided it was worth it. Old EVO was difficult to remove, even with the pump off the car, definitely helps if you have a vice. I was also having issues with my ARC that wasn't easy to track down. Since I've replaced my p/s pump and EVO, my arc seems to work better, though it's not 100%

Yeah I'm not seeing anything there, that's what's confusing. I see a wire dangling down there, maybe I'll take a photo and post it for all to see. I had read it was on the right hand side of the pump so I thought I was loosing my mind.

OK guys, thanks for your help thus far, I'm posting some pics I took tonight. The one with the harness I tested at battery off it does .7 volts, I couldn't test with the ignition on because well I broke one of the leads on my digital voltmeter, nothing serious but enough to stop that testing. ;)

Any ideas of what this connection is for? I'm hoping it's the cable in question.

EVOCAble.jpg

And this one? This is a picture straight down past the upper IC tube at the right side of the power steering pump, I've been shining a lot of light in there and I cannot see any wire of any type going to the power steering pump the one in the shot above is the only one even close.

PSPumpView.jpg

And finally since there seems to be some confusion, the shot below is of my washer fluid tank which as you can see is in the front clip of the car.

washer.jpg

I don't really want to go about tearing this apart before I know what I'm looking for before I get in there if you know what I mean. ;)

Thanks again.

Cowtown, What year SC do you have?
You can edit your "Signature Line" in your "User CP" at the top of this page, to show what year yor SC is. It must be a 94-95? I was assuming yours is a 89-94?? and those are next to the distribution box...thus why we aren't making any sense... :p

Hi Bob, I have a 94 as I mentioned in my first post. I'll make sure to edit my User info, I didn't have a car yet when I first registered. ;)

Any thoughts on the pics?

That is the EVO sensor wire you are holding in your hand in that pic. The EVO sensor is right in between the PS pump and the line coming out the side of the pump. The spot where it plugs in will be pointing at the drivers side subframe rail.

Thanks Tony, both good and bad with that. Good in that I know which wire it is, bad in that the steering is really firm at low speeds so the pump is probably buggered. I'm going to do a burp and possibly flush here this week so hopefully I can plug this back in and get it flushed out for some improvement.

Hey, can one of your kind souls take a picture of your pump where the harness plugs in? Working on my car yesterday I don't see anywhere to plug this harness in. I'm thinking someone cheaped out and put a busted *** reman one on that doesn't have an EVO rig on it. Just to confirm and then I can go about getting the proper unit rather than wasting time on this POS pump.

I will post one tonight Cowtown, but keep in mind, mine is a 1990 SC. But may give you an idea of what it looks like..
I haven't buried my P/S Pump too bad yet as I am still waiting for IC Gaskets to fire her up after HG job..
I'll shoot you a pic tonight if noone else beats me to it.

If your steering is overly firm now, that could be why the EVO is unplugged. All the EVO can do is restrict flow from the pump to make the steering firmer, this happens at higher speeds. If the EVO is unplugged you get maximum power assist.

I am betting the pump went bad and "firmed up" the steering. When the EVO activated it firmed up way too much, thus someone unplugged it. Or you have a bad / wrong pump installed without the correct pressure, and possibly without an EVO.

Try flushing it out and topping it off with fluid, but I am afraid you might be looking at a new pump.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking Andy, The pump is topped right up, no worries there, the fluid is dark so I know it could use a flush but what I'm more concerned about is whether this is the right pump so I just want to make sure . If it is then great, I'll spend some time flushing it, if it's not then I'll just hunt down the right one.

And Bob, if you could post that, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again guys!

Andy 94SC said:
If your steering is overly firm now, that could be why the EVO is unplugged. All the EVO can do is restrict flow from the pump to make the steering firmer, this happens at higher speeds. If the EVO is unplugged you get maximum power assist.

I am betting the pump went bad and "firmed up" the steering. When the EVO activated it firmed up way too much, thus someone unplugged it. Or you have a bad / wrong pump installed without the correct pressure, and possibly without an EVO.

Try flushing it out and topping it off with fluid, but I am afraid you might be looking at a new pump.

Sorry it took a little while but hope this helps.. ;)
Couple different views of my 1990 SC PS Pump.
The EVO is the gold colored thing coming off the pump, also has a gray wire(s) connecting to it..

Attachments

• PS Pump 1.jpg
    PS Pump 1.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 58
  • PS Pump 2.jpg
    PS Pump 2.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 62
  • PS Pump 3.jpg
    PS Pump 3.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 58
  • PS Pump EVO.jpg
    PS Pump EVO.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Thanks Bob, that's what I figured, mine doesn't look anything like that. You can see from one of my pics on the first page of this thread I have that gold thing sticking out but there is absolutely nowhere to plug anything into it. So I'm very likely looking at a swapped pump, now the hunt begins.

Thanks,

cowtown said:
Thanks Bob, that's what I figured, mine doesn't look anything like that.
No problem cowtown, but keep in mind that my SC is a 1990 and yours may be the correct one for a 1994/95. I'm not sure though.

Well the upper IC tube will come off this weekend at some point if i can find an alternator so I'll take a closer look then.

Regards,

Shawn

BobGPz said:
No problem cowtown, but keep in mind that my SC is a 1990 and yours may be the correct one for a 1994/95. I'm not sure though.

Back