What's the best camshaft upgrade?

JOE91SC

I'm looking for a mild street cam, to help the top end power on the 3.8. up to 5500 rpm+ . Would anyone know who makes the best set up?

How about.. Dr Fred, Steigermiers (SP),Erson, Crane, Comp cam etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi.
I would read this post, like Mike8675309 said: click
I have this from some previous posts:

Cam Help

Call or send an email to Michael Douglas. I found him to be very helpful, if a bit conservative.

mdouglas@compcams.com

Competition Cams
3406 Democrat Rd.
Memphis, TN 38118

1-800-365-9145 Ext:583

DLF

I talked to Matt Maxwell... He knows his stuff about these cars and the cams. They just used my cam and profiled it for their stock specs database. He also looked up Coy Millers orders and is grinding my cam to his specs as we speak. Look for some of my previous posts this month and you'll find tons of info. But i too got many crappy people to talk to. Ask for Matt....hes the best guy i've delt with there. Crane cams and crowler also grind them, but comp is the easiest i guess...one week turn around. $125 plus $10 for shipping...not bad at all.
fastsc92.

Comp Cam Specs....can this be made a STICKY??
Ok guys i just got off the phone with Matt at Comp. Cams. He had my spare cam from a 90? SC auto profiled for their computer data-base. Here is what he found out:

Intake lift: .423"......185 durration @.050
Exhaust lift: .448".....202 durration @ .050

These are just a few specs that he gave me over the phone. The detailed info if coming with my cam. He was very very surprised that the lift and durration of the stock cam which is very small. He was able to talk to Coy Miller's sales rep and grind it to his specs....so i'm jumping up to a .493 lift 210/220 durration @.050. He said this would really help my torque, and make a good idle. I'm very happy with the info he was able to give me, so if anyone wants a regrind, ask for Matt Maxwell at comp cams. I cant say enough good things about him. He asked me if i could get some sound clips and maybe some dyno numbers after its installed, which i will. Once i get the rest of the stock specs i think it would be good to make it a sticky, or put it in the faq section on the SCCOA. What do you guys think?

Cam shaft selection.
If you are getting the heads done now, I have to say get them flowed and select a cam grind suitable to the flow results now. You are already on your way to a nice combination that will make good HP with the right support. Its much easier to add the bolt ons after the motor is together than to tear into it again to change the cam. Since you are staying with something mild, the car will still run well, just not at its peak capability performance wise with the new cam. I would potentially suggest Crane regrind # 01161. This will give you good power, great street manners and has put properly prepped SCs into the 12s on several occasions.
Paul BTS

Vidar.

JOE91SC said:
I'm looking for a mild street cam, to help the top end power on the 3.8. up to 5500 rpm+ . Would anyone know who makes the best set up?

How about.. Dr Fred, Steigermiers (SP),Erson, Crane, Comp cam etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

you wont get a hold of dr. fred guarenteed, so dont ask him or try...you can get a coy regrind stage 1, or a steig, those will prolly be your two best, i got a coy stage 1 and i like it, real nice guys over there too.

SC Vidar

That's good info. Thanx!!

How's the Crane Cam compare to the Comp Cam w .493 lift? (no specs on Crane) Also what's idle like?

Aplvlydrtybird

I'm aware of Dr Fred cams are no longer available.. Would be nice to get the specs for his cam as a reference.

Do you have the spec. for the stage 1 Steg. and the Coys regrind cam?

JOE91SC said:
Aplvlydrtybird

I'm aware of Dr Fred cams are no longer available.. Would be nice to get the specs for his cam as a reference.

Do you have the spec. for the stage 1 Steg. and the Coys regrind cam?

The cam specs are .493" lift 210/220 duration @.050 just like scvidar said

ask the guys around here with his cam and see if they know the specs, it was like .510" lift and not exactly sure on the duration of intake and exhaust, but i was going to get it last year it was all set up and everything but then he jsut fell off the face of the earth..oh well im over it my cars runs.

good luck man

Hi All.
I'm going to buy a new cam from Comp Cams, just tell them what you want,
and they will get you the right cam.
Have this insane Comp Cam in my drag race car, and love it. :D
Vidar.

SCvidar said:
Hi All.
I'm going to buy a new cam from Comp Cams, just tell them what you want,
and they will get you the right cam.
Have this insane Comp Cam in my drag race car, and love it. :D
Vidar.

Which cam are you getting? (Lift & duration..)

Hi.
I'll go up to .500 lift, haven't decided about other data.
Will talk to the guys at Comp cams first, the most lift for stock springs
is said to be .500 lift.
Maybe someone with new cams will post here :)
Vidar.

Back