car wont start when cold

CMac89

I went outside at about midnight last night when it was about 45 degrees outside and my car wouldnt start. This has happened a couple of times, usually when it is around 60 degrees or below. The car starts fine when it is warm outside though. Any clue?????

casey

Your problem could be caused by condensation/moisture at the electrical connections in the ignition system causing the high voltage signals to find a path to ground. Remove the ignition wires one at a time, clean each end, and apply some dielectric grease before you reconnect them.

I once had the same problem and suspected that the fuel had frozen in the fuel rails (it was extremely cold and the antifreeze had the consistency of porridge) or the IAC was stuck. So I poured buckets of hot water on the engine and then was able to start it. (I don't know whether the IAC could cause this problem but that's what I thought at the time.)

Anyone else have any ideas?

Do you think it could be the cam sensor? sometimes when it is warm out it will take about 3 seconds to start but it will start. I dont think the cam sensor has been replaced all 148,000 miles of its life.

CMac89 said:
Do you think it could be the cam sensor? sometimes when it is warm out it will take about 3 seconds to start but it will start. I dont think the cam sensor has been replaced all 148,000 miles of its life.
Unplug it... really.. and then turn the key off between start tries. It will take a few as this causes the EEC to guess at where piston 1 is, but eventually it guess right and bingo!... engine run.

Replace it if you want. They do go out and they're not that expensive.

thanks for the input. unfortunately i have to wait until the car wont start to try anything.

casey

Back