Plug and wire suggestions...

Micahdogg

My magnecores are about 4 years old and my Motorcraft plugs are starting to show some age. So I think I'll try some Taylor 8 or 9mm wires and fresh plugs. What kind of plugs are some of you running? Looking for a decent substitute, but not sure if I want to pay for iradiums.

Also...who's got the best deal on Taylor wires? Any part numbers?

Micah

I'm running Taylor Spiro Pros and NGK Iridiums- I love the setup. Car used to break up after 4,500 RPM, pulls consistently to red line now-- I got the Taylors locally for $65, NGK's for $7/ ea. If these iridiums last half as long as they claim to, there well worth the investment IMO. I ran the iridiums at a closer gap to help deter any spark blow out issues that occur w/ high boost, but w/ Iridiums, you shouldnt have to worry about it too much any way-- It was just peace of mind, i dodnt want to have to pull them out again. G/L

Micah,

I'm a big fan of Taylor wires and NGK Iriduim plugs. Summit had the best prices when I bought some last month. Here are the part numbers and since your too lazy to do a search, here are some links also.

#TAY-74269 red w/135 degree boot 8MM spiro pro direct replacment. $41.99

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...p&N=100&Ntk=PartSearch&Ntt=TAY-74269&x=16&y=8

#NGK-7316 TR551IX standard heat range and standard length tips. $6.99 ea.

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...p&N=100&Ntk=PartSearch&Ntt=NGK-7316&x=12&y=10

David

taylor wires and irridiums is what i run, and havent had a problem, and she'll fre all the way to 6 and then some im sure. its probably one of the better setups to run with. they cost a lil bit more but you gotta bite the bullet once in a while

Thanks David....I went to Summits site and couldn't figure out how to search by model. Kept coming up with universal fit stuff. WTF...do I have to sit down for 20 minutes and create a garage, with an account, with a wish list and vehicle profile and project status just to search for plug wires?

Example...what the hell is the difference between TAY 74669 and TAY 74686 other than $4.00?!? Niether say they are for the SC? I'm thinking of going blue this time though since all my silicone is blue and nothing else is red.

Micah

Last edited:
Micahdogg said:
Thanks David....I went to Summits site and couldn't figure out how to search by model. Kept coming up with universal fit stuff. WTF...do I have to sit down for 20 minutes and create a garage, with an account, with a wish list and vehicle profile and project status just to search for plug wires?

Example...what the hell is the difference between TAY 74669 and TAY 74686 other than $4.00?!? Niether say they are for the SC? I'm thinking of going blue this time though since all my silicone is blue and nothing else is red.

Micah

Micah,

I have no idea what #74686 fits but the TAY-74669 is the correct wire for your car if you want blue. Look a little closer at the description...it says for 89-95 3.8 R V6...."R" means supercharged.

David

PS: Don't feel stupid, I couldn't do the damn search either...I got the part numbers from Wise a couple years ago.

Thats a good price for plug wires considering I was going to go with the Magnacores that are $105. I think I'll go with the Taylors instead.

Shane

Since you have a FMIC and plug changes are easy now, just run standard Autolite 764's. $9 a set can't beat it. I change them every other year but have never seen any electrode erosion. With as many miles as you put on that beast you may never need to change them again.

XR7 Dave said:
Since you have a FMIC and plug changes are easy now, just run standard Autolite 764's. $9 a set can't beat it. I change them every other year but have never seen any electrode erosion. With as many miles as you put on that beast you may never need to change them again.

Dave,

Just to fallow up with my problem I had on the dyno at the shootout, I am pretty sure its my plug wires to blame. It did it to me on the way home a few times. It would only cut out at WOT. I am going to replace them this coming week and I'll see what happens.

Shane

Micahdogg said:
My magnecores are about 4 years old and my Motorcraft plugs are starting to show some age. So I think I'll try some Taylor 8 or 9mm wires and fresh plugs. What kind of plugs are some of you running? Looking for a decent substitute, but not sure if I want to pay for iradiums.

Also...who's got the best deal on Taylor wires? Any part numbers?

Micah

Your manacores are guaranteed for life. If there is a problem with them, I would consult with them before replacing them. I went to get the Taylors locally and they wanted 45 for the wires, 15 for special order and 20 for shipping. In the end it was $80. So I got magnacores from SCP and couldn't be happier.

Back