bypassing CD unit

You bypass the CD player with jumpers on the back of the radio or the cable going to the CD player.
I do not know which pins get jumpered but I have seen a post on 1 of the SC boards.
The jumpers trick the radio into thinking that the CD is still there. Good luck

Here is how to "jumper out the Factory CD Player so the Radio and Cassette will Send audio to the amp(s) even though you unhook the bad CD Player:

Please follow these instructions to the Letter:

Remove the cd player and look at the end of the squarish lower wire harness plug. (the end with the six pin holes in it.) The connector should be oriented so the cable is going to your right as you look at the end of the plug. You need to insert some jumper wire between the TOP LEFT HOLE to the MIDDLE LEFT HOLE. Then insert another jumper wire between the TOP RIGHT HOLE and the MIDDLE RIGHT HOLE. Try to use wire that is slightly smaller than the holes and then tape the wire jumpers to the connector to keep them from moving around and creating crackling.

The plug looks like this:

------
| o o |_______
| o o | CABLE
| o o |--------
------

This should get your audio back without the CD Player connected.

Give me a shout if you want to sell the BAD CD Player.

TwoTimeSC said:
Here is how to "jumper out the Factory CD Player so the Radio and Cassette will Send audio to the amp(s) even though you unhook the bad CD Player:

Remove the cd player and look at the end of the squarish lower wire harness plug. (the end with the six pin holes in it.) The connector should be oriented so the cable is going to your right as you look at the end of the plug. You need to insert some jumper wire between the TOP LEFT HOLE to the MIDDLE LEFT HOLE. Then insert another jumper wire between the TOP RIGHT HOLE and the MIDDLE RIGHT HOLE. Try to use wire that is slightly smaller than the holes and then tape the wire jumpers to the connector to keep them from moving around and creating crackling.

------
| o o |_______
| o o | CABLE
| o o |--------
------

Hey 1quikv6 if you get around to this tell me how it turns out im gonna try it soon too.

TwoTimeSC said:

------
| o o |_______
| o o | CABLE
| o o |--------
------

Just wanted to add my two bits:
One jumper shorts the right channel signal in and signal out wires and the other jumper does the same for the left channel.
On an 89 the right channel wires are gray and orange-black. The left channel wires are purple and light green-red.

So I jumped the wires and bypassed the CD deck but now all i hear is static and a thump from the trunk whenever I switch channels. I have no idea what is wrong now... Im about to just rip it out and throw it across the field.

vancouverBC said:
Is your antenna plugged in?
Try a tape to see if it will work.
Good luck
Worked for me! Only thing is when I change the station I get a lound popping noise comming form the rear of my car, as in bass hitting for 1/4 second sorta thing. :confused:

Re: ...

Matt94GT said:
Worked for me! Only thing is when I change the station I get a lound popping noise comming form the rear of my car, as in bass hitting for 1/4 second sorta thing. :confused:

Sounds like it's got a open ground, Maybe check into what the bottom two pin is for. If they have to be jump across or to a ground. ( use a meter to check, make sure is not a remote trigger.. don't want to feed that to ground.)

Last edited:
Matt94GT said:

The capacitors in your radio are on their way out. That popping noise when when changing stations is one of the many symptoms exhibited when these radios start going south. It can be repaired however.

TwoTimeSC

TwoTimeSC said:
The capacitors in your radio are on their way out. That popping noise when when changing stations is one of the many symptoms exhibited when these radios start going south. It can be repaired however.

TwoTimeSC

Uhm.. When two people is experiencing the same thing , usually something is not right. But I don't have a spare deck to check out on the bench. Oh well..

Im just glad to know that Im not the only one and that Im not going crazy, lol. I simply want my radio back, lol.

Time to find a junker. If anyone near me has a Radio/CD combo the want to get rid of let me know. I have 2 12" Infinity's in a box if anyone wants to trade. They spent 2 months in the trunk of my 94 LX and was only hooked up to an amp for 2 weeks.

Back