Peltier thermoelectrics to cool intake temps

Tony8470

They are devices that cool one side around 0 degrees and heat the other to about boiling, (they differ in temperature differences). What I was thinking is to put some along the intake, maybe on the intercooler. Now I don't know the specifics of how much current they draw and to what point they would be useless. This is where someone here may enlighten me. Since I have never heard of them being used to cool intake charges I am assuming they are useless, but in moderation they seem like a good idea. A plate about 1.5 inches square uses about 6 amps from what I've read. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Well, they draw too much current to be useful in a 12v application for the type of temp drop you would want.

They use so much power to create meaningful cooling that the CPU cooling industry would rather use fans with heat sinks, or actual refrigeration.

Search news.google.com on your term and you'll get plenty of tech information from the sci.engineering groups.

I agree with mike on this one...

Drawing too much current to be useful.

Depending how you wire them they can be either cold or hot. I suggest you use one to build a custom "Kool-It" mug for your... ahem...beverage and plug it into your cigarette lighter.

I saw plans in a recent Pop-Sci magazine that showed you how to build a "Kool-It" mug for about $50.00.

haha well........thats where the idea originated from. I wont tell you where I got the link from though, as it wouldnt be apropriate here.

Back