Raced a 5L Mustang

SCaddict

I ran a 1986 5L mustang tonight. He claims that it is stock but I am not sure about that. We left from a light and we raced till about 160 km/hr and I got him by about 1 car. Then we ran off the next light and I got him by a car again. I think he was a little shocked. He also owns a fast AWD turbo laser that I could not beat so I feel good about the victory.

my buddy has a stock 90 5.0 LX besides exhaust and air filter and he ran 14.10(I just about forgot this is with 204000 miles on it), while my 90 thunderbird sc with a 94 sc, 3% od, exhaust, air filter, removed silencer, 36 lb injectors, and 94 tb, runs a 14.9 we both have 5 speeds and the only advantage he had was a set of drag radials over my goodrich tas, so dont underestimate a 5.0 with a good driver.

He is a good driver and is not afraid to get on the motor. I just raced another 5 speed 5L last weekend and blew him away as well. I lost my head gaskets in the process but that will be fixed very soon.

An SC will kill a 1990 Mustang 5.0, especially if the Mustang is an AOD. My son-in-law had a 1991 5.0 and even with a Paxton supercharger my mildly modded SC (at that time) would beat him every time.

He has since bought a Supra and has modded it extensivly and I'm still beating him.

David

David,

I have spanked a few Mustangs now and it feels pretty good. There is one that I am trying to beat, but she just spent $8,800 on a Procharger set up so it is out of reach for now. I talked to a guy last night who is getting a 90 Stang with 410's, CAI and exhaust. He is convinced it will run mid 13's and it is an auto. Meanwhile the Procharged '02 Stang ran 14.2.

where are you guys getting that 5.0's are slow, i agree the aod's are slow, but there is no way a stock sc is running with a stock 5.0 5 speed unless the driver of the 5.0 doesnt know how to drive, as i said my friends ran a 14.1 with just exhaust and a air filter, and most sc's that just have exhaust and filter are running 15's
Russell

BTW i wish my sc could beat him, i have tried

titaniumsc03 said:
where are you guys getting that 5.0's are slow, i agree the aod's are slow, but there is no way a stock sc is running with a stock 5.0 5 speed unless the driver of the 5.0 doesnt know how to drive, as i said my friends ran a 14.1 with just exhaust and a air filter, and most sc's that just have exhaust and filter are running 15's
Russell

BTW i wish my sc could beat him, i have tried

Russell,

Your friends car is unusually fast for that year 5.0...most are a little slower than the average SC.

David

Yeah i was a little surprised, ive raced a couple 5.0's before his and i beat them(on the street) but i assumed maybe they didnt know how to drive. As of know i know his internals were stock because he just put a set of heads on it, and the old ones were stock as were the pistons. he also had a slipping clutch with that run, which exploded about a week after, after tear down it appeared to be stock replacement. as for gearing in his car it feels to be around a 3.27 ive checked his door code and thats what it called for and thats what the equations pointed to.
Russell

If a stock 5.0 runs low 14's, so does my SC. My buddy has a CLEAN (65,000 mile)90 convertible 5.0 5 speed with only exhaust and CAI. He cant do any better than mid 15's on the gtec (i know, i know...it's a convertible and, gasp, a gtec), while my sc in the exact same location was pulling down 14.9's to low 15's. His best as of yet, before the exhaust was a low 10 in the eighth, without wheelspin. From a 55 punch, he slowly pulled me until right before he hit the next gear, and from about 80 up it was funny. a stock 90's 5.0 only puts down around 180 hp. and 86 I believe was still the speed density type fuel injection (like my 88 Turbo Coupe) so it would probablly be less. A stock LT1 F-body will run low 14's stock, and they decimate 5.0 in a stock to stock race. I would put a whole paycheck on a stock LT1 camero automatic vs. a stock 5 speed 5.0 hardtop. Bone stock with BFG radials on it, and one might get near a 14.5. Another friends 5.0 had ported heads, cai, exhaust, subframe connectors and sticky tires and he netted a low 9 in the eighth mile next to my 9.67 pass in my 88 Turbo. As reference, a 96 GT 5-speed with 99 heads, cams, and intake with 3.73:1 gears and exhaust and a bit of wheelspin went 9.12 (next to my dismal low 10 in the SC)

all I know is thats gtech, i do have a camaro spelled with like camaro not camero, and mine is now built before it was built i wouldnt of wanted to race him. I believe the exact spec for 90 was 215 hp too.
Russell

hmm

i got a 1993 Thunderbird LX, i got a shift kit and a thick clutch plat. I raced a Z-28 Camero. it must of been around a 88, i out ran him pretty bad.

I also got a 1990 F-150 with a 302 5spd {under 5k on the whole drive train and yes its stock} 4x4. I raced a honda civic, he said he missed 2nd but i still spanked him. he said when we lined up he couldn't even hear his exhaust {i got stright pipe} and i guess he said it was running high 14s.

I know a guy with a honda civic and it is supposed to have some head work, CAI and MSD ignition and it ran a WHOPPING 18.4 :eek: .

The one i raced was a newer one, with the rice pipe and i guess he had a chip. You just can't beat american power. I've raced alot of those little rice burners, i dont care for them. i've raced chevys, they're not very fast. I turned my wife into a ford lover. She loves my Thunderbird, she doesn't like my truck only cause she can't drive a clutch :)

Back