5 spd fiber blockers, discontinued by Ford but still obtainable.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
Ford has discontinued the fiber blockers and will not be able to supply them anymore. My local dealer was able to find 5 of them but that's all. Southern Gear had none except for a couple of used ones. However, Astro Transmissions, 1-800-343-0956, can get them. I talked with Mark and he quoted me $164 per set of 6 from one supplier and $224 from another. So if your local dealer or shop cannot find any call Astro.

I have a question about the fiber blocking rings you would want to install fiber or the brass blocking rings? I would think the discontinued fiber blocking rings are a good thing.

Rich

Blocker or syncro?

Is their a difference between the blocker ring or is it called a syncro or are they both different parts?

I have tried the solid brass blockers in my drag racer and they cannot be speed shifted without crunching. Skipping a gear, going from 3rd to 5th for instance, will also cause a crunch. In fact my 3rd gear brass blocker was teetotalled after only 1 race season. The fiber blockers work much better and grip the gear as it engages while the brass will slip. The synchronizer is made up of several parts. There is the synchronizer cluster gear assembly which is comprised of a center hub and a sleeve that slides over it and actually engages the gear. The blocker is between the synchro assembly and the gear and slows down the gear so that the hub slides over it and captures the gear. The problem with the brass only blockers is that the brass will not slow the gear enough to match it's speed so it slips causing the crunch as the teeth on the hub interact with the teeth on the edge of the gear. According to the guys at Southern Gear there are lots of manual transmissions that use a fiber coating on the blockers.

Update!

I called Astro today, and was told that the above quotes were for Wholesale Only. I was referred to Astro Performance 1-866-253-0019 (Tony) for Retail purchases. But, for some reason now, my phone won't dial the number.

Another number to reach him at is 1-352-253-0022.

Last edited:
Syncro kit

Had a tranny rebuild Syncro kit delivered from Southern Gear. The total shipped was $344.00. All syncros were brass with the fibers on all syncros. All berrings seals included. This is a very nice kit. You guys talk about stock fibers not being produced any more, but these brass syncros had the fiber coatings on the insides of all. Alot of berrings on this kit.

Snake said:
Had a tranny rebuild Syncro kit delivered from Southern Gear. The total shipped was $344.00. All syncros were brass with the fibers on all syncros. All berrings seals included. This is a very nice kit. You guys talk about stock fibers not being produced any more, but these brass syncros had the fiber coatings on the insides of all. Alot of berrings on this kit.

Me to. I ordered the syncros from SG also, and they were all fiber lined. But everyone keeps saying there not obtainable :confused:

Snake said:
Can you get me the contact info for them? Also, is there a stock number or anything I should know?

contact info

yeah.... how do I get in touch with Southern Gear. Google turned up nothing. I would really like a set of these fiber lined blockers.

FYI everybody on the blocker rings. You can use the brass rings, but you'll have to put regular 90wt + gear oil in your transmission in order to get it to stop grinding gears. The heavier weight gear oil helps slow the brass rings which then engage the gears without grinding.
The fiber coated gears enable the syncro to "grab" better which is one reason Ford and others allow the use of auto transmission fluid in todays manual gear boxes. The lighter weight oil offers less resistance as well.

Back