Harmonic Balancer Bolt ????

SuperCoupe007

I have to replace the HB on my car, and i was wondering if I could use the same bolt, or if I need to replace it ?
Thanks

P.S. I am gonna replace it with a OEM..

Replace the bolt!!!

You can reuse the washer. If you need a new bolt, let me know. I have a couple that I bought a while back in my "spare parts bucket".

LJGriggs:::::: Is it possible to use the same bolt ?? or is this bold the same way like a head bolt when replacing head gaskets ?? I didn't wanna put a new HB w/ the same bolt, and then find out that i needed to install a new bolt...
Thanks..

Its like the head bolt thing, although I would replace it in any case. When my HB broke, it took half of the bolt with it. I dont think Ford carries them anymore, but I bought one for a 99 3.8 Stang and it works fine. Its the same bolt, just a little longer. For a few bucks why not?

The mustang part number bolt is a better bolt than the stock one. So it's a good idea to replace it with the new mustang part.

You need to use a new bolt...

The old bolt will probably fail (snap off) eventually if you reuse it. When you torque the bolt to around 100ft/lbs, it stretches slightly. Torquing it down a second time will stress the bolt.
Like I said, if you have any trouble finding a new one, let me know... I'll drop one in the mail for you (no charge).

(BTW... the spare bolts I have are from the Mustang.....)

Last edited:
The Mustang bolt is basically the same as the stock SC bolt. There is a slight difference in the "thread end", and the bolt head isn't quite as thick, but the tensil strength and thread specs are the same. The biggest advantage to the Mustang bolt is that they are available and the stock SC bolts are not.

LJGriggs:::: Ohh OK, i see... That is true, FORD has discontinued alot of parts for our cars..

Did you receive my PM ????
Thanks.

bolt

What balancer are you using?? if you are using a stock balancer, I have a stock bolt brand new from SCP that I didnt use, I also have a washer. If you need it let me know, I got the BHJ balancer so I used the 50mm. I WOULD replace the bolt and YES ford discontinued plenty of useful parts.

Aaron
asheets1@umbc.edu

Bigme574:::: I am gonna go with an OEM. I appreciate the offer but I already talked with LJGriggs and he is gonna send me one.. Again thanks for the offer... I called a dealer for a CAM sensor, and they told me that it was discontinued, bummer, had to go with an aftermarket one... we'll see how good they are...

no bolt

No the bolt will not come with it...call MN12 performance and get a 50mm bolt, otherwise you will only have about a 1/2 inch hold!!! who wants to risk that???? Also, I have a wells cam sensor that was 34 bucks and it is working just fine....

Aaron

SuperCoupe007 said:
Mike8675309::::: Is the mustange bold stronger ??? :confused: just curious to know what makes it better ??
Thanks...

Supercoupe007
The original bolt and the Mustang in same picture to show the difference. The Mustang design (right) is a lot better.

Later
Denny

Attachments

• PICT0070.JPG
    PICT0070.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 161
  • PICT0078.JPG
    PICT0078.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 129
Rich Thomson:::: Actually I already bought the cam sensor :( Its a Borg Warner, I trust that name brand. Thanks for the tip anyway..

dbd:::: AAAHHH, The Mustang bold does seem better the our stock SC. Now i understand..
Thanks.. :)

NEED BOLT & KEY + WASHER

LJGriggs said:
The old bolt will probably fail (snap off) eventually if you reuse it. When you torque the bolt to around 100ft/lbs, it stretches slightly. Torquing it down a second time will stress the bolt.
Like I said, if you have any trouble finding a new one, let me know... I'll drop one in the mail for you (no charge).

(BTW... the spare bolts I have are from the Mustang.....)
I WILL PAY FOR THEM... :cool: :cool:

SuperCoupe007 & ThunderRoad

I am sending you both a bolt today. I hope you still have your washer, because I didn't have any of those in the box. Anyway, I'll drop them in the mail today at lunch.....

Back