tranny Abvice

acb92sc

Can any one tell me from these pics if this tranny appears to be in good condition internally? the shifter forks had absolutely no wear, but im not sure what to look for inside these things. Thanx for any input- Adam B

Attachments

• 01030018.JPG
    01030018.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 01030017.JPG
    01030017.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 65
It looks good to me but I can't tell about the synchro blockers, the brass gears on either side of the synchro assemblies. I can tell that it's in 1st gear. To check the blockers, push them against the gear and away from the synchro assembly. There should be a small gap and not go flush up against the gear which would indicate that it is worn out. If the blocker is really loose it may be wornout and will cause a crunch when shifting. The only way to really check them is to disassemble the tranny and look at the fiber coating. The gears look fine and it doesn't appear to have much wear. Check the input shaft. It may wiggle some from side to side but should have no end play. It shouldn't move forward any when you pull on it.

Thanx for the info. Ive blown 2 trannys this summer, alittle weary about putting it in. This one was rebuilt in Dec. 03, but im not familiar w/ the shop that did it or how many miles since the rebuild-- jsut good to know that it appears to be decent quality before the labor begins. Adam B

J.D. said:
Have your tranny cooler been cleaned?

Its a 5spd tranny and I am pretty sure they dont have tranny coolers. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Shane

10-4 on the cooler, the 5 spd's don't have one or need one. Instead of using Mercon, I've switched to Synchromesh fluid as well. Southern Gear highly recommended it over the Mercon. It's slightly more viscous than Mercon and a lot more slippery.

Back