AOD are simply junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy N Connie

Well after going through three AODs in about 5000 miles.
I bought a Lentech.Got it all installed.just to fined out it will not inguage.
the shift gates will not adjust right after my third day a trying.

Now I fine out the lentech installed the wrong shift levers.So I have to pull the pan off to put the right parts in.After I cut up my new exhaut pipes I just got welded in place.

If I could get the guy that ok putting the AOD in FORDS.i WOULD PUNCH HIM IN THE NOSE AND THEN STICK ALL FOUR OF MY AOD laying in the shop were the sun dosent shine.And I mean sideways.

Venting makes me feel better,but not this time.This is just over the top.I think that My average of 1250 per AOD is enough.This SC is a bigger pain in the A
Than the last 20 cars I have had put together.I have a coulpe people I don't like.I think I will give them my Thunderbird SC for Chrismas.So I can make there lives miserable.

NO IF, ANDS,OR BUTs .AODs ARE WORTHLESS Pain in the A.

RANDY

Randy,

You've just had a run of bad luck with them, they really aren't THAT bad. My AOD is one of the few things I never even think about. It would piss me off to have to tear into a new tranny though.

Oh yeah I did...The pan leaked on my new Lentech and I ended up adding some washers to the socket head bolts to get it to seal, but I was supposed to change the fluid and filter after the first 100 miles anyway so it wasn't a big deal. It also has the wrong rpm shift govenor (mustang instead of SC), but I'm waiting to see how high the turbo motor revs before changing it.

David

Mine also came with a mustang linkage but they told me ahead of time. I had to swap in my old linkage before installing it. The Lentech will hold the power but GM trannies are better. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to here about that Randy. Lentech has to know that the Mustang linkage is wrong for a Thunderbird. I'm not sure the original levers are available or not, but even if obsolete they should have told you about it before install. I think you will have to unbolt the vavlebody and switch the linkage, it's not hard to do but totally unexpetable for what Lentech charges.

The linkage was one of the first things I checked on the Art Carr. It had the correct linkage and since Dave Neibert didn't mention the problem on his Lentech, I thought it was not going to be a problem with Lentech.

Jerry

Randy, just put a C-4 in the damn thing. Easy to find, easy and cheap to rebuild, and can be built tougher than the AOD's.

Darkside said:
Randy, just put a C-4 in the damn thing. Easy to find, easy and cheap to rebuild, and can be built tougher than the AOD's.

Is this reply trying to be cute?
That wont help with the linkage problem as I'm sure a C4 wont have the correct linkage either. Not to mention the fact that he just paid a huge amount of money for the Lentech? The reply doesn't sound helpful to me. As a guy who has removed and reinstalled three AODs without a lift on a garage floor, it's hard to fault Randy for being irrate. You get tired of these things not working right.

Jerry

Randy N Connie said:
Well after going through three AODs in about 5000 miles.
I bought a Lentech.Got it all installed.just to fined out it will not inguage.
the shift gates will not adjust right after my third day a trying.

Now I fine out the lentech installed the wrong shift levers.So I have to pull the pan off to put the right parts in.After I cut up my new exhaut pipes I just got welded in place.

If I could get the guy that ok putting the AOD in FORDS.i WOULD PUNCH HIM IN THE NOSE AND THEN STICK ALL FOUR OF MY AOD laying in the shop were the sun dosent shine.And I mean sideways.

Venting makes me feel better,but not this time.This is just over the top.I think that My average of 1250 per AOD is enough.This SC is a bigger pain in the A
Than the last 20 cars I have had put together.I have a coulpe people I don't like.I think I will give them my Thunderbird SC for Chrismas.So I can make there lives miserable.

NO IF, ANDS,OR BUTs .AODs ARE WORTHLESS Pain in the A.

RANDY
ford c4 tranny it bolts right up try it

midnitethunder said:
ford c4 tranny it bolts right up try it
I'm not trying to be cute. The AOD's are junk! If I owned an auto still I'd be putting a C-4 in it. I am trying to give him an alternate path to take, although I'm sure Randy already knows he could do this.

yeah my TCI had a mustang shift lever in it too. about a half hour had the old one in. hopefully it holds up agianst the abuse

Darkside said:
I'm not trying to be cute. The AOD's are junk! If I owned an auto still I'd be putting a C-4 in it. I am trying to give him an alternate path to take, although I'm sure Randy already knows he could do this.

C4's are JUNK. Do what the fast ford guys do... and put a turbo400 in it :D

455Poncho said:
C4's are JUNK. Do what the fast ford guys do... and put a turbo400 in it :D
We're not fast ford guys. :p Besides, you mean powerglide don't you? C-4's are FINE. They need to be built, but it will last longer than an AOD. Plus they are probably lighter as well.

simple point guys:
If you are porking that many AOD's that fast, something ELSE is wrong. Flush and backflush ALL coolers, radiator and external. IF I was breaking that many, I would just repace the coolers and not chance it. Remember that all the crap from the prior grenaded ones will end up in your new trans... meaning the new trans becomes the 'filter' for all the blown up grubbies in the coolers. small metal and grit = **** new trans. Also install an inline cooler filter and CHECK cooler flow. If cooler flow is not up to spec (quart in 15 seconds sounds about right), you will break the trans. Also, CORRECTLY set the T/V cable. THIS IS CRITICAL! Use a pressure guage, a guage block and set it right, don't just guess. You can be off a mile and it will 'feel' right, but it will kill it.

Darkside said:
We're not fast ford guys. :p Besides, you mean powerglide don't you? C-4's are FINE. They need to be built, but it will last longer than an AOD. Plus they are probably lighter as well.

A turbo 400 is a stronger, lighter more economical alternative to a C4. Lots of big block ford guys do the swap.

Original AOD here with 170,000 + on it... B&M Shift kit early on no slip all grip I'm typing very quietly as I'm sitting next to the garage :D

Randy, I've had the same luck with transmissions over the years, just not as frequent as yours. Not sure if you remember, but the first AC tranny I received last year had the wrong talishaft and was 1" too long. They had a replacement tranny to me in about a week and then I returned the old one...that was the only acceptable option for me. I didn't have the time to wait for shipping both ways. They knew better than to ship the wrong linkage on the replacement tranny.

Anyway, now the front seal is leaking, so the darn thing has to come out again.

Hang in there Randy, I'm sure you will be happy with the Lentech as soon as the bugs get worked out. And yes, I know it sucks. FWIW, you've still got a way to go to catch me in the "Transmission Woes" department.

Jerry,

Maybe it was the 3 calls I made to Len after seeing the crap that happened with Kurt's Art Carr transmission and reminding him that I went with his more expensive Lentech to avoid those kinds of problems, so please get it right the first time.

Mine came with the correct shift linkage and correct TV cable linkage. Haven't driven it enough to tell if I like it or not.

David

Well I have never had a auto trans that was not junk.
Be it Ford,Dodge,or chevy.They are all trash to me.

Right now I am mad that the parts I have ordered in the past 30 day have been wrong or just not shown up or damaged.

1.TRANS Over $3000.00
2.Fiber glass parts damaged $750.00
3.Fiber glass parts $800.00 have not receive.
4.guages $150.00 lost in shippment.
5.IC parts $1200.00 Did not receive all the parts.lost in shippment.And now the guy wants me to pay more money than agreed on.And the delivery driver witness the shortage.List me me on the bad buyers list.I do not pay exstortion fees!!!!!!

And there is more if I go past 30 days.

I am at a lost at the treatment I have been receiving.From members on this board and buisness selling SC parts.The greed & incompetents seems to be rampit.

My Art Carr came with the wrong damn linkage (Rustang style) and when I talked with them about it, they just kept saying that they only make it with that one style linkage. I'm sure they knew otherwise and were just trying to avoid fixing it. Bastards.

But that's just typical. In fact I would not be exaggerating to say that every major car part I've bought (and not just for the SC) has been a major PITA in some way. Every shop I've gone to has screwed up somehow (that's why it NEVER goes to the shop now), and practically every person I've had to deal with at these companies has had their head stuck permanently up their @ss. There are exceptions to that last rule - I've dealt with a few honest, smart people, but they are few and far between. And of course people in the club have always been helpful, but as far as these vendors are concerned, I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire...

5SPEED swap baby!!! i used to think that if i had the cash i would buy a lentech. I'd rather spend the cash on a 5 speed swap. I had a 90 tbird 3.8 N/A with like 20 horsepwer and I went through 3 AODs in it. the first of which was rebuilt by ford. $1600 with a 12 month warranty. 13 months later,JUNK. then i changed one out on the garage floor out of a continental. then i sold that thunderchicken before it broke again. Now in my XR7 i have a AOD with a trans-go in it. The stock tranny lasted 90,000 mi. before it crapped out. It's great driving around with a ticking timebomb for a tranny! will it last a day or will it last 10 years? who knows. I realize they need to be flushed and the TV cable needs to be PERFECT for it not to burn up but c'mon. It's a fussy, crap transmission!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back