caliper locked up...what will fit???

Bigme574

I have an appointment for my exhaust tomorrow, and today my right rear caliper is sticking and dragging..getting really hot! So, I have a set of 96 calipers from rear discs. Will they fit on my 89 SC? If not...Can I do something to stop it from sticking so I can make it to the exhaust shop???

Thanks
aaron

The 96 calipers can be made to work, but they are not a direct bolt-on. The 89 - 92 cars used thicker rear rotors than 93 - up. So you would need to have the complete 96 calipers, with the mounting anchors, and a pair of the later rotors as well. The mounting for the caliper on to the knuckle is the same, as the knuckle wasn't changed for rear disc brake cars from 89 - 97.

cheers,
Ed N.

Pull that caliper and run down to your local parts house and get a price on a 1 year (might be cheaper then you think) or if moneys that tight get a overhaul kit. It contains an O ring and a seal. Just take a air gun and remove the bleeder and run compressed air in the bleeder hole to push the piston out
. Low pressure is all thats needed and watch your fingures and point it downwards so as to avoid your eyes face and fingures if it comes outter there like COY leaving the line. Anyway just clean the inside with break cleaner really well and if you have a brake hone use it if not use like really really fine grit paper or emery cloth to just lightly go over and get out any residue rings (thats why its sticking). Was it out again with break cleaner. Allow to dry. Change the O ring on the piston put some fresh brake fluid on the piston and O ring and put back in caliper. Seat it to the bottom and put on the outter seal. Seating it to the bottom means less bleading. Before removing you might take a small pair of vise grips and clamp on the rubber line and leave on till you get the caliper back on to reduce fluid loss and make bleeding easier.

The rear calipers have a few more pieces in them, because of the parking brake mechanism. I don't think they are quite as easy to take apart and repair as the front ones are, which it sounds like you're describing. However, not having ever personally had a rear MN-12 caliper taken apart, I could be talking out my you-know-what. ;)

cheers,
Ed N.

thanks

Thanks for the replies, I found calipers at my local parts store for 70 each...I was gonna do them and the pads....do you think it is worth it? I can do it tonight...or should I try the o-ring rebuild kit???

Thanks again everyone your replies are very appreciated.

Aaron

I forgot about the intregal rear parking break. You might want to talk to someone who has rebuilt these I havent had to yet. They will be the same basically but you have to push in and turn the piston at the same time to get it in. If you have the money the best thing to do Is to just get rebuilt one and put it on there .. You'll have no trouble getting that right and ready by tomarrow for the exhaust shop.

Pull em

Same thing happened to me. The rear calipers are only like 20.95 from autozone and they might be able to have them the same day. Otherwise order the part, call AAA and have it towed there. When they do the exhaust have them slap that puppy on there.

PS. They are a mechanical mess inside and not worth taking apart. Murrays had the brackets if you need those too.

-DZ

WHAT 20.95 per caliper?>?? I can not get them any cheapoer than 70...are you talking about the front??? because that sounds about right, but the rear are always expensive, I've called 8 different places for pricing. I do all of my work other than pipe bending and tire balance/alightment so I can do it tonight before I take it in. If it comes down to it I'll get it towed to the place but I think I can get it done.

Thanks again
Aaron

fixed

Well, I ended up getting the unloaded calipers for 70 bucks, and got some $17 brake pads....haha organic weird looking ones. O well, It would have been a piece of cake other than the fact that my slide pins were COMPLETELY siezed!!! I had to liquicd wrench the hell out of them, then turn them the 1/8'' they would turn with a wrench until I could pull them out slowly with another wrench prying. It was fun using a wire brush and elbow grease!! thanks for your help everyone.

Aaron

Back