Can an AOD be made to shift 1 to 2 Cheaply?

LXSC

I'm inquiring as to the AOD shift pattern of 1-3(D)-4(OD). Now from what I've come to understand, Lentech is the only maker of a valve body that alters the pattern to 1-2-3-4 (which would make sense as a transmission, as well as a numerically but hey, it's a Ford). Now what confuses me is that shift kits out there appear to only allow this 1-3-4 shift pattern to happen more quickly and efficiently. I myself am a fan of the 2nd gear as it tends to do a lot of the passing. Now I really don't want to waste money on shift kits, valve bodies, and whatever else if I don't get the 2nd gear. At the same time, I don't want to pay $349-399 for a basic valve body aside from the converter and everything else.
Am I completely wrong about this or is 5-speed the way I should go???

LXSC said:
I'm inquiring as to the AOD shift pattern of 1-3(D)-4(OD). Now from what I've come to understand, Lentech is the only maker of a valve body that alters the pattern to 1-2-3-4 (which would make sense as a transmission, as well as a numerically but hey, it's a Ford). Now what confuses me is that shift kits out there appear to only allow this 1-3-4 shift pattern to happen more quickly and efficiently. I myself am a fan of the 2nd gear as it tends to do a lot of the passing. Now I really don't want to waste money on shift kits, valve bodies, and whatever else if I don't get the 2nd gear. At the same time, I don't want to pay $349-399 for a basic valve body aside from the converter and everything else.
Am I completely wrong about this or is 5-speed the way I should go???

Transgo Part # AOD-HP

Back