Auburn Diff.

I would like to know a little about them too. I plan on getting one over the winter to put in my Mark VIII diff along with 3.27 gears.

Shane

Re: Auburn cone diff.

I'm using an Auburn Cone differential w/3.27 gears. What do you want to know?

68COUGAR

Auburn vs. Trac-Loc

quick35th said:
How well does it hold out compared to others?

Shane
I bought my car new, in '89. Original Trac-Loc only lasted 20K mi. Ford put a New Trac-Loc in. That one lasted 20K mi. also.

Then I put the Auburn Cone in. 25K later, it's still going strong. It took quite a while to break it in though. Dunno why. I only drive the car in the summer. Once It was broke in, it works great. If I had to do it again, I'd get the Auburn PRO. It has more bias pressure on the cones, which keep the diff. "locked" harder.

But if money was not a concern, I'd spring for the Detroit True-Trac, (www.tractech.com/Products.htm#slip). It's a Worm/Wheel diff. (no clutch plates to wear out), but MUCH stronger than the Torsen. It gives the wheel with the least slippage, 70% of the avail. TQ.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
Does Detroit True-Trac make a diff for the SC? About how many arms and legs do they want for one?

Shane

Re: Tractech Detroit TrueTrac

quick35th said:
Does Detroit True-Trac make a diff for the SC? About how many arms and legs do they want for one?

Shane
Yes, Tractech Inc. makes a Detroit Truetrac with 28 splines for an 8.8" Dif. There are 2,3,& 4 pinion TrueTrac diffs. Not sure if they're all avail. in our size though. Also need to ask about the Circlip slot.

I don't remember the price. You'd have to call them. 1-800-328-3850

68COUGAR

Locker vs. TrueTrac

stubbs said:
Any difference in volume, as I heard that true lockers make a LOT of noise.
You are Confused.

The TrueTrac is a Worm / Wheel (Torque Sensing) diff. It is NOT a Locker. Worm / Wheel diff.'s make no noise at all.

TrueTrac 0001.jpg

Detroit Lockers have big square teeth that have to walk over each other during differentiation, then re-engage the next square tooth. THAT is the noise you are referring to.

I'm still looking for a pic of the Detroit LOCKER & will post it when I find it
When you see the Locker, you will realize the difference between a LOCKER & a Worm Wheel

68COUGAR

Last edited:
Back