Best place to hook Hoist to Motor?

RussellR

It's finally time to pull the motor on the road racer for a full performance rebuild. :)

The ford service manual is real detailed on what to remove to get the motor out until it gets to the point of actually pulling the motor. Then it just says hook the hoist to the "Appropriate" points. Can anybody tell me what these points are. Where is the best place to hook the hoist chains to the motor. I'm planing on removing the blower, tranny, accessories and downtubes then pulling the motor complete so I can put it on an engine stand to complete the work.

A common place that I've seen is to put a bolt through the one chain and into the rear of the passenger side head. Then put another bolt through the other chain and into the front of the drivers side head. Those are pretty big bolts with long threads and work pretty good.

Micah

I neeed to know also, I may need to get a motor hoisted due to rounded motor mount bolts, and can;t use headbolts...

How do you get it out without using the head bolts????

I hooked to the top of the motor mount bracket. That worked well for what I was doing. I am not sure how it will ballance with/without the tranny connected.

-Steve

I went to Lowes, and bought some heavy duty lifting rope rated for over 1000 lbs. We looped it right around the tranny in the back, and around the front of the engine. This worked for taking both out and putting a new engine in.

If you dont have the engine lifting hooks on drivers rear and passenger front exhaust manifold bolts you can do like I did and use two short pieces of chain and washers instead of the lifting hook.

Back