'95 ABS bleed

Alan K

I called Thexton and though they didn't stock the TEVES IV tool anymore they fabricated one for me. Brfore I go tearing into my bird, does anyone have experience with hooking up this device and bleeding the 16 in. rear brakes on a '95 bird?
K

What is so special about a '95 that needs an ABS bleeding tool?

I don't know, that is what I'm trying to find out. Look on the Brakes forum where Mike and I are kicking it around.
K

TEVES IV ABS Brake Bleeder Fits General Motors - All TEVES IV ABS and ABS/TCS equipped vehicles EXCEPT with ASR (Acceleration Slip Regulation)'91 and up Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac (most applications) Chrysler with TEVES IV ABS Systems '92 and up Jeep Cherokee, Grand Cherokee Ford with TEVES IV ABS Systems '90 and up Taurus, Sable, Crown Vic, Mercury, Lincoln (most applications) Eliminates need for OEM scan tools to activate ABS system. Allows technician to bleed brakes after servicing ABS Hydraulic Control Unit, master cylinder and related brake lines. OEM connectors assure correct connections. Automatically cycles hydraulic control unit. Brakes can be manually bled to remove air. Built in "ABORT" button stops cycle if leak occurs.

133_400w.jpg

http://thextontools.com/dynamicdata/shop/shopexd.asp?id=115&catid=36

I purchased one last month. Only way to bleed the ABS system.

I'm sure it's a wonderfull tool, but I've had 3 SC's & still own 2 ('93 & '94). I've changed brakes about 7 or 8 times and replaced the whole fluid about 4 times, without any problems or special tools. You employ the ABS method by having the ignition on and applying the brake pedal once - which allows a 10 second automatic bleed each time for the rears & then the traditional method for the fronts. I never back-pressure the system and make sure I release the bleed nipple whenever the caliper pistons need pushing back. That usually requires a modest amount of top-up of the master cylinder reservoir. I've only fully bled the system when replacing the whole fluid ,about every 5 years or so. For me that has equaled a full pad change on the 5 speed (front & rears have usually lasted 50-60k) and every other pad change on the auto (fronts only last about 25-30k). So is the '95 different than the '94?

I have read that the problem does not show up unless you get air in the solenoids which only operate when the ABS kicks in. The ABS does a diag check but will not indicate the presence of air in the system. Also the Ford shop manual explains the only way to purge air from the ABS unit is to cycle the solenoids. Teves IV was only used on 1993-1997 Thunderbirds and Cougars. The Teves II version is different and this module will not work on it.

I have copied the instruction sheet to PDF and have the pic showing it connect to the project car.

Teves ABS Operating Manual

teves-iv-bleeding.JPG

Back