PDA

View Full Version : Which headers are best?

stubbs
10-08-2004, 03:57 PM
I have picked up the Blazer so now I am working on picking up the 91 SC. The car has 93k, new head gasket with ARP fastners up top, 373 gears, a shift kit, and a bigger MAF and the 3" intake tube. I figure the 1st mods will be a set of headers and a new griffon radiator to maximize the life of that new headgasket. That being said, the price difference I am seeing on supercoupeperformance's site and magnum powers site is very similar, price isn't that important anyway, its not like I am rich, it's just I believe you buy the best once and be done with it instead of doing 5 times for what eventually costs even more money, which explains why I am also going with the large 1200-1400 dollar(depending on where you look) Intercooler. But getting back to the original post, what headers do you guys prefer? Are the long tubes worth the extra effort on installation? What kind of HP difference between the Mid-Length headers and Long-Tubes? Are you happy with the quality? Did the flange have a good seal on the block with no leaks? Are the gaskets one piece flange gaskets or induvidual gaskets for each primary?Who's headers would you buy? Are there more companies that I should research?
Thanks guys

XR7 Dave
10-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Headers are not a performance updgrade on these cars. However, if you just want to get some (they do sound cool) Kooks longtubes in SS are the best. The ones with the ball socket flanges (mid length ones) seem to leak really bad. Longtubes have traditional 3 bolt flanges that hold up well.

007_SuperCoupe
10-08-2004, 04:46 PM
What is your ultimate end goal for the SC? That will determine what will be best.

The stock manifolds are good for 300 rwhp... a little more when ported. I personally am going to go with the MAC shortie headers for the V6 mustang when I do it. Minor modification is needed to clear the steering shaft...I don't know the specific year, but I think it's the '01 headers that fit best. Those will support all but the most extreme engines.

What you really want to address in the exhaust is the cats and the resonator. Put high flowing on, and you will reduce the back pressure which will in turn reduce engine temps which lead to HG failure. The radiator is great...That will help too.

Another thing to look at would be the lower intake manifold and heads. The #3 and #6 (closest to the firewall) tend to get less air and thus run rich... ich=hot... nd that's where most HG failures occur. I'm not saying that you have to spend huge amounts of $$ to get a raised roof manifold, but some minor port work will help the flow greatly.

Let us know what your end goals are for the SC and we can help you much better...Biggest is not always best...

quick35th
10-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Headers are not a performance updgrade on these cars. However, if you just want to get some (they do sound cool) Kooks longtubes in SS are the best. The ones with the ball socket flanges (mid length ones) seem to leak really bad. Longtubes have traditional 3 bolt flanges that hold up well.

Dave, what is SS?

Shane

stubbs
10-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Sorry I forgot it also has a custom cat back and a high flow cat as well. My plans are for a magnaport II blower, 85mm TB, raised top, the large front mount intercooler, and maybe a 5% pulley upgrade. I am basically looking for around 300 RWHP if possible. That would be enough as the Vette will be the fast car, the SC will be my everyday driver. It needs new seatcovers/headliner and carpet. I found where I can get new carpeting but nothing on the other 2, any info would be appreciated, but as of late I have been considdering Mustang Bullit seats for the SC instead but I can't find anyone selling them yet. BTW has anyone used the 1.73 rockers? If so did you notice any difference. I would rather not crack open the longblock if necessary but I do realize if I am correct that I may not be able to see 300 RWHP in that case.
Also I guess I should say that I have been building cars for about 18 years, yet I am new to the SC's, but not at all to blower tech(I ran 26 lbs of boost on a T-trim blown 393 in my Stang that was stolen) therefore feel free to get as technical as you like, you wont loose me,
thanks again guys.

XR7 Dave
10-08-2004, 07:32 PM
stainless steel

quick35th
10-08-2004, 07:44 PM
stainless steel

Ahhh... I see.

Shane

stubbs
10-08-2004, 07:55 PM
How much for the Kooks long tubes 6-7 hundred I would guess? Do they make them in non SS as I would prefer to Jet-Hot coat them inside and out to retain as much heat in the header as possible and out of the engine compartment.

quick35th
10-08-2004, 07:58 PM
I didn't even know they made the long tubes in stainless steel. They have got to be expensive.

Shane

XR7 Dave
10-08-2004, 10:16 PM
I think you will have to call Bill E. at SCP about that. I think longtubes like you want are going to be kind of a special order deal.

SS also does a TON better job of retaining heat inside the pipes than mild does. One more reason to go stainless.

stubbs
10-08-2004, 10:41 PM
It's the Jet-Hot coat that retains the heat, it's amazing, I had it in the Stang.

XR7 Dave
10-08-2004, 11:55 PM
Not saying there is anything wrong with the coatings, but if you know anything about stainless, it holds heat many times better than mild -and- it can be coated as well.

Since you speak of wanting to do it once and do it right, regardless of heat retention or dissipation, stainless will also last a lot longer. The "Jet Hot" coatings on my longtubes has entirely given up the ghost. My mild steel coated Kooks are nothing but crumblings after 5 years.

:)

stubbs
10-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Intresting, I'll have too look that up. When I did my Stang SS was not coatable, it wouldn't stick, but that was awhile ago, I would prefer SS.