Do these look like SC parts??

Mustang IIowner

Hey all. Im looking at buying my first SC. The one Im looking at, the guy is rebuilding the motor right now. He sent me the pics today, so Im just checking to see if you guyz can tell if theyre the forged stuff. Thanx again.

And if Mr. Seller reads this, Hey, Im just makin sure.
BTW, he wants $4400 for it. '91, Excellent interior and exterior. With a new motor, 5-spd, and sunroof. Soo....Is it worth it?? KBB.com lists this car at only $3,077, so Im not too sure.

Attachments

• DSC00123.JPG
    DSC00123.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC00127.JPG
    DSC00127.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 420
  • DSC00126.JPG
    DSC00126.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC00118.JPG
    DSC00118.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Mustang IIowner said:
BTW, he wants $4400 for it. '93, Excellent interior and exterior. With a new motor, 5-spd, and sunroof. Soo....Is it worth it?? KBB.com lists this car at only $3,077, so Im not too sure.
I can't speak about the engine, since I'm still lacking a SC myself. However, I will say from having watched prices for a while that SCs tend to sell for a higher price than KBB would predict, just because they're an enthusiast's car and KBB tends not to reflect that (in my experience).
If you haven't already done so, take a look at some of the cars in the for-sale section to get a feel for price. I personally would pay $4400 for that car as described, though, as long as the rebuild is good.

Oh, its definately an SC. What Im worried about is the motor being a regular ole' 3.8, and not an SC 3.8. Ya know, cast rods, cast pistons, cast crank, and shotty block.

My friend says hes good for what he sells, but he charges a premium and doesnt wanna negotiate any. I dunno, Im just skeptical about buying any car, I guess.

I figured if anyone can spot a fake motor, you all could.

Thanx.

Attachments

• SC2.jpg
    SC2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 298
Vyk said:
I will say from having watched prices for a while that SCs tend to sell for a higher price than KBB would predict, just because they're an enthusiast's car and KBB tends not to reflect that (in my experience).

Oh, I totally agree, and NADA was the same way. They dont consider stuff like a new motor. Thats where I have problems, though, Kuz I cant judge how much value something like that should add to the price.

super red91 said:
Just to let you know, the stock rods and pistons are not forged. Only the crankshaft is forged.

Okay Thats good to know :) . Just to make sure Im makin any sence: Someone could put the Supercharger on a 3.8 out of some 91 'stang, and stuff it in an SC, and Noone could really tell the difference. Right??
Oh, how do ya tell if its the SC crank then??
Thats my only real worry.

Make sure it is a 93 SC. Run the VIN. The only reason why I say this is becuase the rear deck lid and reflectors are not what 93s came with. The stuff thats on that car is from a 89-91 SC.

Do some research. Do a carfax report.

Oh how many miles are on it. Persomaly I think it is a little high. Especially if the motor needs a rebuild. Just my opinion.

Shane

quick35th said:
Make sure it is a 93 SC. Run the VIN. The only reason why I say this is becuase the rear deck lid and reflectors are not what 93s came with. The stuff thats on that car is from a 89-91 SC.

Do some research. Do a carfax report.

Oh how many miles are on it. Persomaly I think it is a little high. Especially if the motor needs a rebuild. Just my opinion.

Shane

Yeah, the tail lights on 93s are two piece instead of one piece like earlier models. Thus the truck lid is different too. That has the one piece, so be sure and double check on that year model.

David

99000 on vehicle. OOps, I just read the bit again, and its a '91. I dont think the motor needed rebuilt, but he....... Well, heres his words:

"I bought this car mainly on the strength of its nearly flawless body. I have completely rebuilt the engine, including turning the crank, rings, and installing new bearings, valve job and head work, roller lifters, belt tensioner, and oil pump. The car has only 99,000 miles, and had been sitting for the last two years. The clutch assembly is fresh, and the shifter linkage bushing was worn, and was replaced. The trans is the lovely 5-speed (w/overdrive), which was how the Super Coupe was intended and originally designed. It drives and feels like a torquey big V-8.
It is tight and rattle-free. The radiator was removed and tested and flows well. This car has power everything: power seats with adjustable lumbar and side bolsters, sports suspension, graduated power steering, ABS brakes, cruise control, power mirrors and door locks, automatic lighting package, and moonroof. The interior is the brown tweed and gray leather/vinyl combo and is in xlnt shape. The dash top has NO cracks. The AC has been redone with BRAND NEW (not rebuilt) compressor, dryer, and filter/hose. It has a 4-speaker stereo. In short, a creampuff.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, He promises a new paintjob on it too. <shrug>

Last edited:
It looks like an SC motor to me. Big main bearing caps, knock sensor and the hose for oil cooler are all found on an SC motor. Not positive, but I don't think the 3.8 na motor uses any of those parts.

David

It has SC stamped on the back of the block to the left of the crank, just like the one I have at home.

super red91 said:
Just to let you know, the stock rods and pistons are not forged. Only the crankshaft is forged.

Stock rods ARE forged.

Stan

It's not a 93 I dont think because of the rear lights and looks like it migh have the big old brake set up.

Back