Rounded Supercharger plug

Digitalchaos

Upon attempting to check my SC Fluid yesterday, I found the torx head screw to be rounded. Does anyone have a method for removing these screws? I assume they are aluminum. I have considered trying to cut a new slot in the head and pounding an allen wrench into the screw, but both methods seem undefinate. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: well originally I thought it was a hex too, upon looking at it. However, when I went to Ace for a 3/16 hex and matched it up, I found, without forcing it, that it didn't fit. So I looked again, and I saw torx. Went back into Ace, exchanged for a t-27 torx, and it dropped right in; perfect fit. Unfortunatley it rounded in about an eight of turn. Apparently the previous owner tried this before ;)

Last edited:
SC Fill Plug

I am holding a brand new Ford one (XL3Z-6A828-AA) in my hand. It is a steel part and is a 3/16" hex size. I have heard many call them a Torx, and the use of a Torx bit may be the cause of the rounding. I have used a 3/16" T handle allen for years and also use a 3/16" allen on a 3/8" socket for the really bad ones!

A slot is difficult to cut in them without cutting other things. An EZ out might work but will really mess you up if it breaks off in there. I would try to drive in a 3/16" T handle or socketed allen. The hole does extend a little deeper than the allen sides are formed so you should be able to get it in enough to get a bite, turn it and break the plug free.

If you have to drill a little deeper, do not go too far, there may be only about 3/16" of material before you go all the way through the plug and start putting drill shavings in the supercharger!

Removing the SC plug

If you can get the torx to fit in and seat snuggly, you can carefully heat the aluminum area around it. The aluminum should expand enough for you to turn it out and replace it with a new 1.

George.....just curious, I thought the SC's used both? Mine is a hex, but I've read posts in the past from guys who swear up, and down that the fill plug in their SC was a torx, and not a hex, saying some years of the SC's came through with a torx. Maybe they were just mistaken!?!?
-Jeff

:confused:

Hex or Torx

I think that if you have rounded the corners using a 3/16" hex you should try using a torx, I can't remember which size off the top of my head but I have used both on that same plug. I'll double check the sizes tomorrow.

To SuperCoupe

I have personally viewed as many as 20 SCs and M90s on all year SCs and have never seen a Torx fill plug. The new Ford part listing will get you an allen head.

I think from looking at the way the allen is cut into a new plug, it may look like a Torx to some, but I believe they are all 3/16" allen plugs!

I've also seen dozens of SCs and they all had the same fill plug, 3/16" allen. If you need a replacment plug, it's a 7/16" SAE oring countersunk plug.

David

That's kinda what I was thinking....that they are ALL hex/allan heads. I personally have never seen a torx head on an SC fill plug either!
-Jeff

Back