Bouncing Tach

Dirk SC

I bought a 91 5 speed a couple of weeks ago and when i got it on the road the tach would bounce from the actual rpm to just under 4000rpm randomly. even at idle. The car would also idle funny and stall sometimes when i was coming to a stop and put the clutch in. From the search i did on here i figured it was the cam sensor and i replaced it today......the idle problem stopped but my tach keeps bouncing around and its getting on my nerves :mad: So if anyone could help me out that would be great. Thanks.

Dirk SC said:
I bought a 91 5 speed a couple of weeks ago and when i got it on the road the tach would bounce from the actual rpm to just under 4000rpm randomly. even at idle. The car would also idle funny and stall sometimes when i was coming to a stop and put the clutch in. From the search i did on here i figured it was the cam sensor and i replaced it today......the idle problem stopped but my tach keeps bouncing around and its getting on my nerves :mad: So if anyone could help me out that would be great. Thanks.

If the running is better after replacing the cam sensor and has no other symptoms, I would think the tach itself might be bad now. I've got one out of an extra gauge cluster I could let you have real cheap if you are interested in swapping it out.

David

Dirk SC said:
From the search i did on here i figured it was the cam sensor and i replaced it today......the idle problem stopped but my tach keeps bouncing around and its getting on my nerves

So other than the tach bouncing you have no other issues at all? No check eng. light or anything?

If ya have no other issues you are prolly off the hook and need to check your connections or ultimatley replace the gauge assembly.

BTW..Good on ya for using the SEARCH function... ;)

Good Luck

Brad

Dirk SC said:
Just for the heckuvit, have someone watch the tach while you wiggle some of the wiring around under the hood. Start with the harnesses/connections in the DIS area and spread out from there.

'bird

A Door is Jar

The only other thing that stays lit up is the door ajar light. Other than that everything works fine. Thanks for the reply's but if it turns out to not be an easy fix its going to become a down the road project. Its annoying but ive got other things to worry about right now.... like my 3rd gear syncro :p

Back